82 GS1100 Conversion to GS1150 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100 Conversion to GS1150 ???

I found out that my old GS1100e engine was a complete mess and bought a GS1150 bottom complete with crankshaft and gearbox. I'm reboring my GS1100 cylinder up to standard 1135cc pistons and using the old top. I have bought a new V&H Megaphone.

Qustions:

1. Do I need to replace my BS34 standard Mikuni Carbs?
    2. If not, how should they be jetted?
    3. If yes, what type should I look for.
    4. Will I have to get other Camshafts?
    5. Will I have to change some of the ignition parts?
    6. Do I have to take other things into consideration?

What I am looking for is a really good bottom end performance. (ehh better than before...he)

Thanks
    Houge :-)

I hope you noticed the 1100 engine used 18 mm pins and the 1150 used 20mm pins! 8O

Comment

As CBXChris says: The pistonpins are 20mm. So be sure to get the right pistons. And why not go for 1168cc while you?re at it? Doesnt cost more and is the maximum bore for the 1100 sleeves. Just put everything on, the bike should work fine, maybe a re-jetting with the increased comp.ratio is in place.
      If you have 18mm pin-pistons you can put bronze-bushings in the rods to get 18mm, but that means you must have the crank out of the block.

Comment

Thank you for the reply's.

I found out about the pins :? And wanted to buy a pistonkit. But I don't think there is any 1168 kits with 20mm pins. The kits with 20mm pins are a larger bore, and then I need new sleeves as well. A pistonkit is very expensive here in Denmark 830 USD 8O !!! So I figured to go for the stock 1135 pistons, I found them at Bruce Van Sant 15 $ ea.
        http:\\www.dragbikeparts.com
        Do's anybody know that guy?

I have the stock 1075cc pistons in good shape, but my cylinder is torn( 150.000 km) don't know how to convert to miles!!! So I do need a rebore.

Comment

Another cheap mod would be to use the 1150 camshafts! To bad you couldn`t come up with 1150 cylinder....couple on ebay now. You an go as large a 1198 or so with no problem. Check the clutch hub out very good...backing plate is bad to EXPLODE when abused. Stay away from 750 gears for added oil pressure...they cause more problems than they are worth.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
            Another cheap mod would be to use the 1150 camshafts! To bad you couldn`t come up with 1150 cylinder....couple on ebay now. You an go as large a 1198 or so with no problem. Check the clutch hub out very good...backing plate is bad to EXPLODE when abused. Stay away from 750 gears for added oil pressure...they cause more problems than they are worth.
            I hope you have some information to back up your statement about 750 oil pump gears. Ther are a few dozen folks who will enjoy learning about that.

Comment

I`m also interested in hearing about those problems with 750 oil gears, I thought that it`s a "must" thing to do in hopped up engines??? So enlighten us please.

Comment

I was just thinking that since 1166-68c cis the max overbore for stock gs1100 jugs and i think that 1196 it the max for the 1150 jugs that the top wont fit the lower end without special machine work. Not sure though.

Comment

I have seen numerous 750 gears with the teeth completely sheared off. I will admit most were at the drag strip and with modified engines. I never needed or ever had any top end problems or turbo problems with a mid 7 second GS. I do not think you need those gears unless you are running some very large camshafts. The best thing you can use is a top end oiling kit from Carolina Cycle...they have the best kit ...period. On a stock top end (stock cams and springs) I wouldn`t use anything at all. Jay at MRE is good friends with Kim at CC...he can get you a oiling kit if ya need it.

Comment

I have seen numerous 750 gears with the teeth completely sheared off. I will admit most were at the drag strip and with modified engines. I never needed or ever had any top end problems or turbo problems with a mid 7 second GS. I do not think you need those gears unless you are running some very large camshafts. The best thing you can use is a top end oiling kit from Carolina Cycle...they have the best kit ...period. On a stock top end (stock cams and springs) I wouldn`t use anything at all. Jay at MRE is good friends with Kim at CC...he can get you a oiling kit if ya need it.
                    While I agree that the top end kit is a good move, I disagree on the oil gears. The top end oiler is used in three cases: 1.) If you have over sized cylinder studs which would restrict flow up to the heads or 2.) if you have high lift cams or 3.) a combination of both. If you use the top end oiler kit with out the larger studs you will now have less restriction in the oil system, thus lowering your overall pressure, which is already very low especially if the oil is hot. But putting the gears in there you increase your flow and offset to some degree the loss of oil pressure.

The oil pumps on the GS1100 and the GS750 are the same...even the same part number. When you put the 750 gears in the 1100 you increase the oil pump speed by 12% (I believe that is what I came up with when I calculated it)...not a whole lot but it does help.

As far as sheared teeth I cannot recall a lot of those. Greg Cope and Byron Hines both use 750 gears in the motors they build...their motors seem to last.

Hap

Comment

I ran much bigger studs in my engines than APE`s. I also had my heads milled and used gsxr head orings around the oil galley`s...no more oil leaks. I still stand by what I said....seen lots of gears sheared off. I`ll add this also...lots of people were experimenting for a while with the gear off a 750 hub ...that didn`t help. But the fact is I and almost everyone I knew and that was a lot quit using them.

Comment

are you talking about the straight cut gear for the outer clutch hub that came from the 750???

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                          I was just thinking that since 1166-68c cis the max overbore for stock gs1100 jugs and i think that 1196 it the max for the 1150 jugs that the top wont fit the lower end without special machine work. Not sure though.
                          scotty 1230 is the max for the 1150 without boring the cases

Comment

I ran much bigger studs in my engines than APE`s. I also had my heads milled and used gsxr head orings around the oil galley`s...no more oil leaks. I still stand by what I said....seen lots of gears sheared off. I`ll add this also...lots of people were experimenting for a while with the gear off a 750 hub ...that didn`t help. But the fact is I and almost everyone I knew and that was a lot quit using them.
                            Did anyone you know do a failure analysis? The teeth shearing off could be the result of something else, like the straight cut gear, or maybe some other issue...with the two companies that have the best record building motors using them (I don't know if Star uses then or not), they must have found out what was causing the gear failure. Gear teeth shearing is normally caused by locking up of a component, non-axial loading (if anything the 750 straight cut gear would help prevent this), or poor metallurgy. I have not see the failures that you mention.

We will just agree to disagree on this one...how does that sound?

Hap

Comment

So are you talking now about oil pump gears or primary gears on crank and clutch?? Why the 750 oil gears are any weaker than 1100? Aren`t they same metal or what? I don`t think that size change could cause breakdown...I haven`t heard any problem with these. I use the original Suzuki parts from 750 in 1150.

Comment

Working...
                              X