painting rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting rims

anyone paint there mags yet? im thinking of spraying them black.

I painted a set on a KZ model a while back. It peeled right back off in a few days, discoloring the metal.

Then I read up on primers and the importance of doing it on aluminum mags.

Get a good aluminum etching primer, and prep the surface well. Other than that, a good automotive paint designed to resist tar and oils should work fine.

Comment

I painted and clear-coated mine...no problems. Paint the aluminum as soon as possible after finishing surface prep...it starts to oxadize quickly but you can't see it.

Hap

Comment

the best thing you can do for those rims is buy a por15 kit every thing you need i did it and imy rims turned out awsume

Comment

whats a por15 kit?....Hap, when i tried to clear coat my tank it turned out like crap, im just gonna primer and paint.

Comment

Dupli-color Plasticoat from just about any auto parts sticks tight without primer. I used it before with no problems. Sikkens makes a self-etching primer if you want to go to the trouble. Then you can topcoat with just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
              Dupli-color Plasticoat from just about any auto parts sticks tight without primer. I used it before with no problems.
              That is what I used...got it at AutoZone.

Hap

Comment

go to www.por15.com I redid my gs rims and my camaro rims with the stuff they also have a tank cleaner and sealer (inside tank) i urge every one to go and check out the products some pretty amazing stuff i might say

Comment

I used the por15 rust inhibater when restoring my truck. That stuff is great.

Comment

Working...
                  X