Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a Vetter windscreen to mount. Any tips/caveats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Vetter windscreen to mount. Any tips/caveats?

I just got a used but good condition Vetter fairing that I will mount on my GS550L. Anybody have any experience with this combo?

The fairing is a full fairing, covering the entire front of the bike, and is an old one from the 80's,, slightly newer than my bike. The hardware appears intact, and the headlight hole looks like a clean fit for my OEM one. (Light mounts in fairing, not on the bike) I tested all the signals, and they work fine too.

I intend to commute much of the time on this bike, and my commute is 62 miles each way. Getting the wind off of me will make it an even more pleasant ride, especially with Colorado's habit of spontaneous and unannounced thunderstorms in the summer months.... 8O Hail hurts at 75MPH!

When I mounted my Windjammer on my 1100 I wrapped electrical tape around the frame where the clamps made contact to prevent scratches. I also put a drop of Loctite on every nut and bolt holding the fairing on. If you're also mounting lowers you may have to put an insulating block of some kind (rubber or cork?) between the edge of the lower and where it may make contact with the engine's side cover. IMHO Vetter made an extremely well engineered product. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks! I was considering protection but hadn't figured out what to use yet. Elecrical tape makes a lot of sense. I have some of the good rubber kind around somewhere.

I plan on getting crash bars too, but have not found them yet. Hiway pegs are nice on the long rides. Luckily my bike had a fairly new Corbin seat job when I got it, so it's a fair decent ride already.

Comment

My GS110GL came with a vetter fairing, and I want to take it off, but have a hard time finding the headlight/fork ears, and signals to go on when I take it off. Does yours have the radio compartment? Thats a nice feature.

Comment

Jedi, keep an eye on the mounting brackets for metal fatigue and stress cracking. I've had 1 Vetter and 1 Pacifico fairing. Both with the same type of mounting system, and they were both prone to cracking in the same area, down where the tubes come together wher the mount is clamped to the bike frame.
          Doze.

Comment

Where are you in Colorado?

Comment

I'm out in Milliken. I work in highlands Ranch, and will be riding back and forth soon.

Comment

Working...
              X