cam timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam timing

What do you people use as lobe center figures in your engines. I have a 1150(1230)engine with standard cams and I`m after low and middle pulling power. In general it seems that figures round 108-110 are desirable in both cams, so I have to retard the intake and advance the exhaust, is that right? But I also read somewhere that if I want to get better lowdown power I should advance the intake and thereby get the lobe center figure smaller...which is against the general rule of getting the figures bigger...now I`m confused...So what do you do to get best kind of power for street use? I have also RS36:es and 4:1 exhaust.

For bottom end grunt you want 106 degree lobe centres.
    Dink

Comment

when I had the stock cams in my bike I ran 104 and 106 degree lobe centers on my bike. this was recomended by motorcyclist magazine wich did a hop up on the 1150 in 1986. It worked great and if I go back to the stock cams ill go back to those lobe centers.

Comment

Just to make sure Skip is that 104 intake and 106 exhaust? So it seems that if I go up to 108 lobe centers I get power boost in top end of the power band??

Comment

Originally posted by Sami
          Just to make sure Skip is that 104 intake and 106 exhaust? So it seems that if I go up to 108 lobe centers I get power boost in top end of the power band??
          I am pretty sure it was 104 intake and 106 exhaust.I have not used those cams in 8 years so i may have it backwards. Many guys in the forum use 106 on both . I am using hotter cams now and are using 110 lobe centers. it makes the power up higher with the higher lobe centers but you lose the bottom end grunt

Comment

There is an excellent article on this subject in the June 2003 Sport Rider magazine titled "Cam Timing-Lobe Centers explained". Generally, small lobe center numbers mean more valve overlap which equalls more midrange at the sacrafice of top end. High lobe numbers mean less overlap and more top end power. An excellent point made is that numbers that work for one engine will not necessarly work with a different setup on another engine. It says to experiment for your setup within a few degrees but cautions to ALWAYS check valve to piston clearance- it recommends checking clearance at 15, 10 and 5 degrees before and after TDC on both intake and exhaust. Another great book on engine set up is Jewel Hendricks "Superbike Preparation". It focuses on mid 80's hardware but I do not know if it is still in print. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Re: cam timing

What do you people use as lobe center figures in your engines. I have a 1150(1230)engine with standard cams and I`m after low and middle pulling power. In general it seems that figures round 108-110 are desirable in both cams, so I have to retard the intake and advance the exhaust, is that right? But I also read somewhere that if I want to get better lowdown power I should advance the intake and thereby get the lobe center figure smaller...which is against the general rule of getting the figures bigger...now I`m confused...So what do you do to get best kind of power for street use? I have also RS36:es and 4:1 exhaust.
              When you built your motor up in cubes and yet left the stock cams in it did you degree them in at that point??

Comment

No I haven`t degreed them yet, they are set to original points, my friend has hassled with his R1`s lobe centers with great results and that got me interested. But it looks that original timing is quite near to what you are using...so no big changes aren`t needed? In here in Europe everybody seems to use 108-109 lobe centres.

Comment

No I haven`t degreed them yet, they are set to original points, my friend has hassled with his R1`s lobe centers with great results and that got me interested. But it looks that original timing is quite near to what you are using...so no big changes aren`t needed? In here in Europe everybody seems to use 108-109 lobe centres.
                  I guess i should have just asked if you have adjustable cam gears on your bike already??

Comment

I ran a turbo 1150 based bike and we used stock 1150 cams. We tried 3 or 4 sets of aftermarket cams and ended up using the stockers. We had them set at 110 on both sides but this was a turbo application. On the street I would not go above 370 lift....really 355 lift is best if you do go with cams. Its so hard on rockers and you might invest in a top end oiling kit.

Comment

I guess that I should have told more about my engine application... It`s
                      -85 EF engine in -81 GSX750 frame with GSXR running gear (-89 gixer) and monoshocked with ?hlins. The engine is just rebuilt and it isn`t even been started yet. Engine is a import from USA and history is unknown. It has Wiseco-pistons 77mm, ported head, reinforced clutch, RS36, Yoshimura 4:1 exhaust, GSX750 oil gears..I just put the head together and haven`t had time to file the camgears fixing holes to be able to ghance timing. I just need the info what is good setting for street abuse so I don`t have to experiment myself. Thanks already for good comments. I envy you american people `cause the parts are so cheap over there, I live in Finland and you have to pay over 1000 dollars for second hand 1150 engine...for example...

Comment

I guess that I should have told more about my engine application... It`s
                        -85 EF engine in -81 GSX750 frame with GSXR running gear (-89 gixer) and monoshocked with ?hlins. The engine is just rebuilt and it isn`t even been started yet. Engine is a import from USA and history is unknown. It has Wiseco-pistons 77mm, ported head, reinforced clutch, RS36, Yoshimura 4:1 exhaust, GSX750 oil gears..I just put the head together and haven`t had time to file the camgears fixing holes to be able to ghance timing. I just need the info what is good setting for street abuse so I don`t have to experiment myself. Thanks already for good comments. I envy you american people `cause the parts are so cheap over there, I live in Finland and you have to pay over 1000 dollars for second hand 1150 engine...for example...
                        Well the ladies are much prettier in Finland. Theres somethibg about those Mongol girls.

Comment

And I should also add that I don`t envy americans knowledge on geography and will to destroy foreign countries...but shall we just stick in GS technical issues...

Comment

And I should also add that I don`t envy americans knowledge on geography and will to destroy foreign countries...but shall we just stick in GS technical issues...
                            Instead of acting ignorant yourself then please correct my error. I am repeating what i was told by an old friend R. Manttari and a recent friend J Belttari. And it's not a question of geography but of roots of the people.

Comment

lighten up sami, its all fun thats all

Comment

Working...
                              X