Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which (what grit) rubbing compound?

Looking cleanup the finish on the bike.
    Paint is in really good shape(?), but looks like the clearcoat is a bit scuffed/cloudy? At least I think it's mostly in the clearcoat.
    What grit/type rubbing compound would work best to restore some of the luster to the finish without cutting it too deep.
    Preferrably in a single step, without using progressily finer compound. I'll probably do it by hand and want it to look nice but don't want to spend that much time now that the weather may actually stay clear enough to ride. (Living in or near tornado alley can be a pain).

Get the white polishing compound that is clearcoat safe.

Comment

3m fine cut polishing compound. You can get it at Wally World.

Comment

Odd, I just noticed K-mart has progressive finer sand paper up to 2000 grit. I found it at an auto-parts for .50$ a half sheet. K-mart has 3 or 4- 1/4 sheets for about 3 bucks.

Comment

Couldn't find the 3M so I used the Turtle Wax version of the white compound. Seemed to do a pretty good job. Had to use it real wet though to avoid putting in swirly marks. It cleaned up the exhaust quite nicely as well.
          Now if the weather would just cooperate, I'd have something besides a garage decoration here.

Comment

Working...
          X