Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As long as she's dead... time to repaint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as she's dead... time to repaint.

Whelp, I got no money to continue the work on my bike, but have plenty of supplies and automotive paint on hand...

Time to paint the bike. Is it worth it to repaint the frame? It has a few little nicks and pings, but none that break through to metal. I'm reluctant to tear down that far in case I get a windfall that will enable me to continue making her run.

I think a 79 GS550L would look nice with the tank, vetter, and side panels a midnight purple, and the frame stock black. Should the mag wheels be purple, black, or stripped and polished?

Well, the wife talked me in to a kind of cranberry purple color we had around.

I'm skeptical, but she did some awesome work on the badges. Did you know those suckers are gold colored when stripped of paint?

Final rubbing compound application to the tank tomorrow, and I'll wax it and put it back together. I had no "before" photos, but I'll try to take a shot or two of the "after" and put them up for critique. Maybe a bit longer, as she is pointing excitedly at the front fender and indicating it would be just peachy painted the same color. :roll:

If this thing looks too sissyfied, I think the wife may have her own bike, and I'll go find another GS. Maybe I can scrape up enough for another GS1100EZ like I had years ago.

Damn I miss that bike.

Edited to add:
    The vetter was a no-go. Damned if I didn't find bondo holding the nose together. Be damned if I'm gonna have bondo-adhered fiberglass breaking the wind for me at hiway speed. Way too painful a possibility when that fails.

Comment

Well, here are some pics of the final product.

Front view

Rear View

Right Side

Left Side

Right side panel (could not repair the melted part very well)

Comment

Working...
      X