1150 EFE Suspension Rebuild/Replacement Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 EFE Suspension Rebuild/Replacement Suggestions

My '84 1150 EFE has 70,000 kms on it and I believe it is in need of a suspension rebuild or replacement front and back.

What advice could anyone give me re: rebuild the existing or replace with new? If the answer is rebuild would you recommend changing the springs as well? How difficult a job is this, can I do it myself or should I be sending the monoshock and front forks to a shop for rebuilding.

If new is the way to go what brands and models are recommended.

Thanks in advance, reading these posts I am impressed by all the knowledge out there. Its great to have a place where we all can share experience.

Front ends are easy to do. If the seals aren't leaking I don't think I would bother fooling with them. Get a Progressive spring kit, flush the old oil out, change the bushings in the fork, and reassemble.

The shock is another story. There is a company called Lindemann Engineering that I think could rebuild the 1150 shock. They have a website. One guy was going to have them take a look at his 1150 shock to see if they could rebuild it. The only thing LE was concerned with was finding a place to install a valve to recharge the nitrogen. My 700 shock is pretty much the same as the 1150 and it looks to me like they have a spot to do it.

Then there are other suspension mods you can do if you follow threads by Swanny and Gerry. Early GSX-R parts are cheap and make major improvements. Better brakes, suspension, tires, you name it.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Billy.

You Swanny & Gerry seem to know your stuff.

I'll look up the other threads you suggested.

I'm thinking going the GSX-R route may be the easiest way to go.

Comment

Working...
      X