Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to fab a baffle or get a slip-on... Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to fab a baffle or get a slip-on... Advice?

I bought a kerker 4-1 pipe, used, and when I received it, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It's for an '83 GS1100ED. The guy I bought it from told me he had removed the baffle, but I didn't know he meant completely gone. this pipe is a real megaphone, 4 inches wide at the end and completely straight pipe. I'm sure it sounds great, but there is no way that I can run this in my small town of 15 thousand without getting pulled over every day. So, I need to fabricate some kind of makeshift baffle, or get a slip-on, any recommendations on how to make a baffle or what slip-on to get? I've thought of wrapping a piece of pipe in stainless steel wool and welding a cap on the end to hold it all in, but I don't know what size to make the hole at the end for optimum performance, and kerker only make complete systems for this bike anymore. I have a stage 1 kit that I will probably put in when I get my carbs back.
    Thanks in advance for any help
    -Lehrin

PS I guess the lesson for this purchase is ALWAYS get a picture first...

Kerker makes baffle replacements for their headers I believe. Look in the Dennis Kirk Catalog.

Hap

Comment

I got 2 baffles from Dennis Kirk in the last year; 1 1/2 inch competition and a 2 inch which is in the bike now. I would recommend one of these. 2 1/2 inch is LOUD and the street is rather restrictive; you don't realize how much untill you swap out for a comp baffle and all of a sudden 5000rpm and up has much more snap than before. You're looking at 80 bucks or so but the lack of headaches fabbing one up is worth it if you don't have the time.

Comment

Super Trapp has all the parts to install one of their tuneable baffles and end caps in a pipe. They even have a 4" one. Check Dennis Kirk they should have everything that you need.
        Doze.

Comment

Originally posted by Doze
          Super Trapp has all the parts to install one of their tuneable baffles and end caps in a pipe. They even have a 4" one. Check Dennis Kirk they should have everything that you need.
          Doze.
          I've heard those are nice because you can pull out or put in the plates to adjust to your preference in sound... does that also adjust the amount of restriction, or just the noise level?

Comment

Lehrin, it also adjusts your restriction level. The more plates, the less restriction and louder sound. The less plates, quieter with more restriction.
            Doze.

Comment

Working...
            X