1978 GS 550 Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 550 Exhaust

hello everyone, i am new to this forum and i would like to start off by saying that i own a 1978 GS550, it is my first street bike (i have had many dirtbikes and currently have a KTM 250) I have been trying to find out alot of information searching the internet and i came upon this website. I have been trying to find an aftermarket exhaust system for my bike, the only luck i have had was finding a system fro MAC. My father purchesed an exhaust system for a 1980 CB400 from this same company, and it made a really loud rattle. Has anyone pursched exhaust from MAC and had this problem?

So far that is the only exhaust system i can find for the 550, i noticed Vance & Hines, and kerker make exhaust for the 750 but thats it. If you guys/girls could help me out by showing me some other options for my bike that would be awesome. thanks

mac is the only company that is still makeing an exhaust system for a 20 bike, i have a mac and i'm very happy with it. my exhaust also rattled until i pulled the baffel out and found a big allen screw just chillen there, this was before i installed it. the allen screw was not part of anything and i'm not sure or worreid how it got there. i am also happy with the sound of my bike, i ordered the competion baffel cause of some of my mods and it sounds real nice if you like race loud, i do, and it only gets loud when you run high rpms, it keeps drivers on there toes too. so if you want new exhaust buy mac or you can look around on ebay maybe get a old jardine or kerker, good luck..

oh yeah you can try this place too

www.milwaukeecycle.com they may have something too, give them a call.

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

How does the Mac system look? Does it have the normal megaphone shape? Is it all chrome? Also, is it pretty much a direct replacement or do you need a little jet tweaking?

Comment

it is a 4 into 1 straight megaphone system with removeable baffel. the stock baffel that comes with it, you do not need to rejet ( well i guess if you order straight from the company, mac products based in california, you could probly have them swap in a competion baffel for the stock at no charge and i think it may be a little cheaper to order direct) anyway they come it black or chrome. here is a pic of a gs 550 owner's bike with a mac, i still need to take a new pic of my bike

oh yeah i am very happy with my exhaust, looks,sound, and weight are great.
        ryan

P.S. ben, hope you don't mind me leaching a pic. [/img]
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x

Comment

Very cool, it looks nice. I'm not looking for exhaust right now, but there's always down the road... Thanks.

Comment

thanks alot guys, im definately going to order that exhaust in a few weeks in the chrome.

i also need a front left directional, and a speedometer and tach cable. is there an online store where i can purchase this or will i have to go toa suzuki dealer?

Comment

www.bikebandit.com is pretty good for oem parts
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

Bike Bandit is great for the online fiche, but once you get your part numbers you can save a LOT of money by going to Ronayers.com and feeding them in there. I'm trying to remember some examples... fork dust boots were around $14 at Bike Bandit, and something like $8 at Ron Ayers, it all goes pretty much like that.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                  it is a 4 into 1 straight megaphone system with removeable baffel. the stock baffel that comes with it, you do not need to rejet ( well i guess if you order straight from the company, mac products based in california, you could probly have them swap in a competion baffel for the stock at no charge and i think it may be a little cheaper to order direct) anyway they come it black or chrome. here is a pic of a gs 550 owner's bike with a mac, i still need to take a new pic of my bike

oh yeah i am very happy with my exhaust, looks,sound, and weight are great.
                  ryan

P.S. ben, hope you don't mind me leaching a pic. [/img]
                  wow, other people are using my stuff! I'm famous! :P (btw, I have no problem with that)

Comment

i would have used my 550 pic but i need one first all in time

ryan
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x

Comment

Nice GS550LZ, GS550LZ!

Comment

If you haven't bought one yet, check out ebay.. there's a MAC for sale.

Also lots of other parts.. Good luck, ebay's been good for a couple of parts for my 550.

Tim

Comment

well i found a new set on ebay, i guess they dont make it anymore, its the 4-2 style with the tapered tips... they look just like harley drag pipes. but i am very pleased with them. for $180 dollard you cant beat that. After i put the exhaust on and rode my bike, i noticed 3 of the 4 header tubes changed to a goldish color, so i toutched the normal one and it was bone cold, it turns out the spark plug cap was dead. so now i think my bike screams because it was only running on 3 cylindars and now shes on 4 with new exhaust so it seems real fast.

does anyone here take there bikes to like vintage motorcycle shows? i mean my bike is 25 years old, isnt that an antique?

Comment

Dan

Glad to hear you found the pipe and the extra horsepower! Someone's parting a gs550 on ebay now, lots of bits...

As for antique vs. vintage I think it really depends on the organization sponsoring the event or show.. I checked a couple of websites and it varies from site to site.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                            X