front end swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front end swap

hi everyone I'm new to the site and was wondering if someone could help me out with some info, I have a 79 gs 750 I'm building a low riding cruiser out of. I wanted to know if a front end off a newer gsxr is easily adapted to this bike to acommodate the wider wheel, rotor setup. I aready bought some wheels off newer suzuki gsxr 86 I think. any info would be great thanks, moondog

If the wheels have three pairs of spokes like the later GS bikes they are '86 or '87. If they have 3 spokes they are later than that. Stick to the '86 or '87 forks if that's the case.

Comment

The 77-79 GS750 has a different size steering head bearing to most other big suzies so you will need to modify your new triple clamps if you were thinking of changing them.

Comment

thanks for the info guys ,they are the three spoke wheels that I bought

Comment

If they have only three large spokes in a swirl pattern they are '88 and up. Sometime in the mid '90s they went to three straight spokes. '90 and up front ends would be the best choice as long as you can swap to tapered bearings.

Comment

Its not just a case of bearing type. The GS750 (-79) has amuch smaller steering head tube. You will need to use the 750 steering stem to allow you to get any type of bearing in. Or you could get the bigger stem turned down. I got a collar made and welded to the 750 stem to bring it up to the correct size for the larger bottom triple clamp.

The 8 valve GS750 used the same steering head bearing as most older Suzuki's such as the GT250-750, The GS1000 used the same bearing size as just about all bigger suzuki's since, hence any GSXR front end is a relatively simple fit to the 1000. But not the 750.

Comment

Working...
            X