need info on sprocket supports for a 100/1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need info on sprocket supports for a 100/1150

Who makes the best/cheapest 3/8 or 5/8 offset front sprocket support kit. So far I have seen the kosman(its kinda bulky looking)...know that D&G chassis makes one but have not been able to see a pic yet...and PMFR has a good looking kit but its high. Anything else out there?? I`m bound and determined to put that 170 or 180 on the 1150. I`m thinking a offset will be the only way to clear the chain the way it looks. I`m sure a 530 will help but its looks to at least need a 3/8....can ya get away with no bearing support on a 3/8?? Dang I`m full of questions aren`t I? Thanks again for the great info.

Re: need info on sprocket supports for a 100/1150

Originally posted by cbxchris
    Who makes the best/cheapest 3/8 or 5/8 offset front sprocket support kit. So far I have seen the kosman(its kinda bulky looking)...know that D&G chassis makes one but have not been able to see a pic yet...and PMFR has a good looking kit but its high. Anything else out there?? I`m bound and determined to put that 170 or 180 on the 1150. I`m thinking a offset will be the only way to clear the chain the way it looks. I`m sure a 530 will help but its looks to at least need a 3/8....can ya get away with no bearing support on a 3/8?? Dang I`m full of questions aren`t I? Thanks again for the great info.
    Chris, how much horsepower are you looking at here? A 3/8 off set normally doesn't require a outer bearing support. Will it clear the frame with the 3/8 offset?

Hap

Comment

I have 530 converted my 1150 and the 3/8 spacer they supplied with the new sprockets did not require a support.
      Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
        I have 530 converted my 1150 and the 3/8 spacer they supplied with the new sprockets did not require a support.
        Dink
        Hey Dink, Its time for chain and sprockets and I have been thinking of converting to the 530. How do you like it? Do you think I wuold need a support with 195 hp (on NOS but almost never) or 150hp where did you get your conversion...............skip

Comment

Yeah Skip thats where I`m at. I`m going to build a mild street engine...1198,valves,cams...probably maybe get 140 or so. I was just scared that with no support it would bust the cases or take out the bearing. When I have the tranny out I`m going with the better bearings anyways. I don`t mind spending the money if it needs it. If my memory serves me correctly 3/8 and 5/8 run inside the frame and 21/2 inch and above run outside. I was kinda hoping a 530 with 3/8 offset would do it. It would be easy to shim the rear sprocket and use grade 8 bolts instead of studs. I had spoke of using a 160 but honestly I`m greedy I`d like to use a 180 rear but if I can`t its no big deal. I`ve got stuff coming from everywhere to start this project...just wanted to make sure i`m going in the right direction. Thanks for all the info! 8)

Comment

Did a little measuring since the last post. A 3/8 or 5/8 offset sprocket will easily let the chain clear the inside of the frame...even with 630. On a stock 1150 fitted with a dunlop 130 there is almost a inch clearance between the torque arm at the caliper. There is close to 5/8 inch at the chain...could say 1/2 inch to be sure. The tire to swingarm is not even close. The 630 chain does run fairly close to the back of the front sprocket cover...a 530 with 3/8 offset would be close....probably just have to try that to see. I measured the 130...its around 5 1/4 inches wide. I have two bikes in the shop now with 160`s...one measured 6 1/4 inches wide and the other 6 1/2 wide. The closest thing I saw that bothered me was how close the nuts on the rear sprocket run to the swingarm...right at half inch. Using that 3/8 offset again that would be getting kinda close but OK...especially if ya run the wheel farther back on the swingarm adjustment. I was going to use hardened cap socket bolts instead of the stud/nut deal. The socket heads could be milled a little for clearance if need be. With a widened 5 or 5 1/2 inch stock wheel I see no reason why a 170 or even possibly a 180 will not fit. Hey guys I`m guessing here...anyone see anything I`ve missed ?? I`m open to all suggestions or ideas. Especailly from anyone that has tried this stunt. Hey you know I`m crazy ..I went out and measured that stuff 3 days after back surgery. It did help that the bike was on a lift. All this makes me wonder if ya even need a offset when going to a 530 to start with. 8O

Comment

Skip I have no idea how this would go with a high power motor, as my 1150 is completely and totally stock, the only exceptions being the chain and sprockets(hardened front and rear with an RK chain, btw I am not too impressed with the RK chain) disc pads(Vesrah, kevlar I love em) and spark plugs(Bosch silver paladiums last better and lonmger than even platinums) I instantly noticed the extra grunt when I did the conversion (crossed up with the back wheel spinning will do that) and has even made a small difference to suspension feel.
              Dink
              the company I got my sprockets and chain from only operates in Oz.

Comment

The spacer on the front sprocket only puts the sprocket where it would be if the plates that hold the rubber cush drive on the original Suzuki sprocket were in place. The cush drive plates cannot be used with the smaller sprocket. Unless you space it out more than this, it should handle a fair bit of power.

Due to the lack of choice and cost of 630 chains I will go this way when I need new chain and sprockets. I will stay clear of the RK chain by the sounds of it.

Comment

Chris, the outboard bearing kit on the front sprocket is only needed if you are loading the system hard. For example, my GS1000 turbo motor dyno's 188hp, has a 7" slick, weighs 750 lbs., uses wheelie bars with 5/8" offset sprocket and no bearing support with no problems in 80+ dragstrip launches. But 60' times are in 1.4 sec range, i.e. not heavily loaded. Other combinations with quicker 60' times and/or harder hits at the line (i.e. high hp aspirated or nitrous motor) would stress things harder. For most street applications it is not necessary. Most street bikes will spin the tire or wheelie long before this muchpower can be transmitted through the output shaft. Unless you're running a pretty exotic setup you can probably do without. Space the chain for tire clearance, machine the sprocket cover for chain clearance and go riding. BTW, when using a 5/8" offset on both a GS1000 and '83 GS1100 I had to provide clearance between the frame tubes and the chain. Have fun.

Comment

Hi guys,
                    What don't you like about RK chains? My new xring had a real bad vibration for the first half hour of riding but since then it isn't too bad. It does seem to be worse than my DID standard chain.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Steve I just dont like it, it doesnt "feel" good it seems to be coarser than my previous chain , I am not sure how exactly I would quantify it but I am not happy with it.
                      Dink

Comment

My gsx1100efe (1150) with a 1230 kit is running a gsxr 1100 swingarm and a 170 rear tyre on a 5.5in rim. I have been using a 5/8 offset front sprocket without support with no problems for the last couple of years. The rear sprocket nuts are very close to the swingarm as standard, I am still using a 630 chain with the centre of the rear 630 sprocket machined down to 530 width.

Comment

Working...
                        X