how hard is it to rebuild forks? Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how hard is it to rebuild forks? Cost?

I think my 79 GS 1000 forks are shot. How much and how hard to rebuild my self?

I did the left fork on my GS450 in about 2 hours, including r&r, with basic handtools and no garage, just my kitchen table. Paid $20 for the oil and dust seals and $5 for a quart of 10W Bel-Ray.

I'm doing both forks on my GS750 tomorrow, shouldn't take much longer. If you're fairly mechanically inclined and have some common sense, it's not a real major chore.

Comment

Depends on whether you are just changing seals or tearing them down completely. A complete teardown and cleanup with a slider bushing change would take an afternoon taking your time inspecting all the pieces. A seal swap is less time consuming, but check the bushings just in case they're worn out.

Comment

I took my forks in for a rebuild and my carbs in for a cleaning to the local triumph dealer here in fargo. It cost me a total of $90 to have it all done.

Comment

There's a Triumph dealer in Fargo? 8O

Seriously, I've about had it with mechanics and "service" departments. Maybe when I get to Phoenix the situation will improve, but in Colorado Springs, if you don't ride a Hardly Abletorun, you don't count.

Comment

Did the $90 include the springs also, or just seals?

Comment

Actually I had the seals. That was just for labor. I had the seals. I also bought an inline fuel filter when I had it done. ($54 per hour labor)

Comment

so where is good to get the parts Dennis Kirk? JCW?

Comment

i need to replace the fork seals on my L. I am dreading having to tear it down but I plan to order the parts from a dealer as I have not found any of them for it aftermarket.

Update: Did the fork seal thing in one morning. Hardest part was the disassembly of the wheel, fender and removing each of the forks. But Hey I figure if Pauly Tutle can build a motorcycle scratch I should be able to do fork seals. Total costs including picking up a snap ring plier, about $40 total

Comment

mike, check denniskirk for them thar seals

Comment

I saw they had them for $25. Is that for both forks or each fork Rick?

Comment

i think its for both but im not sure.

Comment

Michael, they are sold as a pair.
                          Doze.

Comment

Cool, now where's the credit card??

Comment

Working...
                            X