How do you replace handlebar grips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you replace handlebar grips?

I am having a terrible time replacing the accelerator side of the handlebar with a new grip. Was able to wrestle the clutch side, but having a bear of a time with the accelerator side. Please help. Must be an easier way. :x

The throttle grip is a pain because of the ribs on the throttle. I guess you have those ribs. Armor All or soapy water might help. You could shave the ribs down a bit so it goes on easier.

Comment

Thats exactly right Billy, it has those ribs. I hated to lubricate it but if thats the only way,............maybe I will give it a try. nothing ventured, nothing gainesd. Thanks

Comment

Try the soapy water first. Once it dries it won't lead to any slipping.

Comment

Grips

Take some dishwasing detergent and rub it on the throttle sleeve. It will dry overnight.

Comment

spray some hairspray on the bar then slide the grip on, will dry in 5 minutes and stay put.

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
              spray some hairspray on the bar then slide the grip on, will dry in 5 minutes and stay put.
              I can second this one.

Be quick! it is a terrific lube to slide on, and a great tack to make sure it stays.

Comment

If you bevel the outer edges of the ribs the grip will slide on a whole lot easier. Also if you apply some compressed air to the little hole on the end of the grip, it kind of balloons it out and makes it easier to slide on.
                Doze.

Comment

I just replaced the grips on my '81 GS650 GL. I used the hairspray trick I heard of on the forum and everything went on pretty easy. I cleaned the surfaces befored sliding the new ones on.
                  However, I never had the ribs on the throttle that someone mentioned, it was just smooth plastic.

Comment

I have had some dirt and trials bikes that are really hard to put new grips.

One trick I have used with really tight grips when nothing else works is to put a little gasolene in the grips slosh it around for a couple of seconds, dump it out, and then quickly slide the grip on.

The gasoline softens the rubber but as soon as the gasoline evaporates the rubber firms back up.

I just replaced the grips on the 750 with some gel grips and didn't have to do anything but work them on. They were tight but after I got them the majority of the way on I could wiggle them slightly back and forth and in about a 64th on an inch at a time.

Mike

Comment

Brake parts cleaner is another good way to go (especially if you don't use hairspray) it evaporates and leaves no residue, and won't harm the rubber.

Comment

Just put a set of Pro Grips on the connie bike and the manufacturer reccomended rubbing alcohol. Grips slipped right on. Evaporates quickly too.

Comment

I just replaced my old grips with new ones a week ago. When I first tried to remove the old grips simply by hand, pulling and twisting and turning, absolutely nothing budged at all. Then I got a can of WD-40 with the little straw that fits into the nozzle, sprayed it all around into the gap between the bars and grips. Wiped the excess WD-40 off the bars and grips and went and did another chore. 15 minutes later I returned and pulled and twisted on the grips lightly, and they came right off. Wiped the bars clean and dry with a rag, and slid the new grips on and fit them just right. Went and did another chore. 15 minutes later the new grips wouldn't budge.

Comment

Replaced the GRips

Thanks to all the suggestions. All seemd to be good ideas. The one I chose was the old hair spray trick. I slightly smoothed the ends of the ridges on the throttle and applied hair spray to the inside of the grip. With much less effort, (none-the-less, still considerable effort) I was able to slide it on and now sport a new pair of grips. I appreciate all the input. Thats what's so great about this forum. Thanks again to all of you.

Comment

We had to replace a ton of those stock grips over the years and the best way I found was to slip a screwdriver between the grip and the handlebar (or throttle sleeve) and squirt brake cleaner into the end of the grip so it went the full length of the screwdriver. slip the screwdriver once around the grip and slide the grip off (If you don't need to save it blade it with a razor blade). It softened the glue and all ya gotta do is squirt a little in the new grip and pop it on before it dries.

One other thing if you BLOCK the opposite side grip hole or handle bar opening it will go on pretty easy if you "Pop" the grip your trying to get on by smacking it with an open hand on the end towards the handlebar.

You should be able to do it in less then 5 min both sides. 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X