Fusebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusebox

I forget whether I have mentioned my fusebox experiences as the bike gets older. I have owned my 78 GS1000 since 1980.

It has been mentioned that the tension on the fuses does get loose with age. It is not a yearly thing to do, perhaps every few years, but is is a good idea to take out the fuses and sqeeze together the fuse holder brackets. This makes for better contact.

Another less obvious problem that may only happen with age and miles is the actual electrical efficiency of the connections with the fuse! I found this one out from experince..the bike was cutting out dead for no reason, fuses seemed ok but I swapped them anyway...

Turned out to be a coating had formed on the fuse holders where they contact the fuse. A bit of contact cleaner and wet/dry sandpaper rolled (cigarette size) up and rubbed in where the fuse goes cleans up the contact area with the fuse. Don't be afraid to give it a good rub..remember all your power goes through there! The decreased conductivity of the fuse-holder connection must also lead to inconsistent electrical power transmission etc (eg voltage loss to ignition). So if you a power problem, remember to check the fuse box fuse connections as well as the obvious bullet connectors.

I have also put in relays to keep the path of the power to a minimum...such as the ignition switch now turns a relay on to turn on main power, the stator goes through a relay near the rectifier rather than thrugh that silly little light switch to turn on the lighting charging circuit, and of course hi/low beam relays.

Reminds me it must be time to check all my electrical connections....

Excellent advice. One way to tell if you have a resistance problem in this area is the heat that is generated. My fuses (the main and lights) were melting the solder connections in the fuses rather than blowing! The fuses and box were very hot to the touch. I'm convinced this caused one set of electrics on my bike to blow! R/R and stator.

Comment

<<I have also put in relays to keep the path of the power to a minimum...such as the ignition switch now turns a relay on to turn on main power, the stator goes through a relay near the rectifier rather than thrugh that silly little light switch to turn on the lighting charging circuit, and of course hi/low beam relays. >>

When a GS would come in the first thing was to unplug the green and white and replug it into the red/white going to the Rectifier and bypass the stupid light switch all together.

Comment

Along the way to correcting my electrical problems my entire fuse block melted. I went down to an electrical supply and bought a generic fuse block and refashioned a new one. No cover but works great.

Comment

Working...
        X