long dry spell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long dry spell

Most of this year, I've either been working on my bike, waiting for parts, or, now, waiting for a pro to staighten it out...what a bummer! I hang out here while at work, read and fantasize about riding...Since I bought it, it was very hard to start when cold...I work 1530 to midnight, so, that's not good. I jacked with it, off and on, all year...finally sucked the mercury out of my manometer trying one more time to get it right...so, in discouragement, admitted defeat and took it to a pro. Now I'm waiting...waiting and waiting some more...Seems like forever since I've been riding. Keep telling myself how nice it'll be when I get it back...probally not have to tweak on it for 20-30 years Just ride, ride, ride! I'm happy for y'all, not at all jeolous...much...and one day soon, maybe, I'll be back out there instead of lurking around the edges of biker land. Well, just had to unburden myself...if I had money, I'd have more bikes, if I had skill, I'd have the one I have good to go....all I've got is this sad story. Soon, though...Larry :?

Larry - sure wish you could make the Hill Country ride!! Sorry your having so many problems with the GS (just not like them to be that touchy ) Good luck - I hope you get her back before winter sets in ... 8)

Comment

Larry,

I feel your pain. I got my GS 3 years ago and had about a month of good riding on it before 10 years of storage gremlins came out of hibernation. Finally got out for a decent ride today of about fifty miles but I'm still nervous that something might happen. I don't know for sure, but I think part of the problem was I was still shifting like it was my old Yamaha 650, kinda by feel and faith, then a couple of people mentioned that it sounded like I was shifting to soon, so now I am trying to un-learn my conditioned behavior. So far so good. I consider myself to be a fairly expeienced rider, but apparently you don't really need to be in 5th gear going thru town at 30 miles per hour (probably could post this in the "blonde" thread as well)

Comment

Dex I run my 1150 around town in top gear all the time, it has never been a problem, I have had it down to around 20 mph in top gear and twist the throttle and it accelerates away.Whoever told you this was pulling your chain the only depends I would add is that at intersections and when a car is entering or leaving the road I have my clutch lever and gear lever covered in case I need to downshift and get out of there.
        Dink

Comment

My 850 loves to roll on from 20 to 25 in 5th gear.

Comment

Dex are you running an open or modified exhaust?

Comment

yeah, sort of....kind of an idiot modified exhaust. When the original owner tried to create his own stage three kit, it eventually blasted a whole in the bottom of each muffler. I try to keep them patched, but it is a continuing battle until I can afford to replace them with something. I'm not even sure I'm still having a problem. It was soaking the plugs pretty good after 20 miles or so at highway speed, when i got it back from the shop the second time it did it slightly after 100 miles of various speeds. I was shiftig at about 2 and a half on the tach, sobebody said that it might be to soon and might cause this, so I'm playing around with shift points to see what happens. Oh, and , guys....I said apparently you don't "need" to be in fifth, I didn't say it never happened. When the stops signs are only 100 feet or so apart, it is a bit excessive(but not any less fun). It's just that everything has pretty much been checked , so the only thing left is rider error, I think,

Comment

Just think Lartross, you do have ONE thing other than a sad story - a motorcycle. It will live soon, and you will ride. Godspeed!

As far as shifting goes I usually keep the engine @ at least 3 or 4 grand. 2 grand doesn't exactly seem to lug the engine, but it has the kick of a wet tea bag at that rpm.

Comment

Dangle that tach needle off red line a few times. I assure you won't be shifting at 2500 again! 8O I usually putt around town, (50kph, or 30mph), in third or fourth gear, but then again, I have a "girlie man" 750.
                  Kevin
                  E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                  "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                  Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                    Dangle that tach needle off red line a few times. I assure you won't be shifting at 2500 again! 8O I usually putt around town, (50kph, or 30mph), in third or fourth gear, but then again, I have a "girlie man" 750.
                    Kevin
                    i know i must have missed someones wise remark; but whats with the "girlie man 750" thing? I think you used that remark in more than one post.

Comment

Dex, just loafing along, no hurry, I habitually shift around 4000-4500.

Earl

[quote="Dex"]
                      I was shiftig at about 2 and a half on the tach, sobebody said that it might be to soon and might cause this, so I'm playing around with shift points to see what happens.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks so much for the commisseration...I did get 7000 miles out of it in between down times...Right now, it needs to be ridden, though, the weather is perfect bike weather, hot, warm, cold and in between...dry and wet. [no snow or ice] Perfect, right!? The mech said, maybe he'll get to it Friday and let me know what he needs to do to get it right . [Everyone and his brothers have thier bikes in for repair] Just not the best at waiting. Hope everyone elses rides are in good shape. Later, Larry 8)

Comment

Originally posted by 1100ed
                          Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                          Kevin
                          i know i must have missed someones wise remark; but whats with the "girlie man 750" thing? I think you used that remark in more than one post.
                          Actually, I started it in another thread. I was just joking around about riding a "little" 750 compared to the 1000s, 1100s, and 1150s that many of you have. I would LOVE to get my mitts on one of those big bores! :twisted: Timing and money seem to be my biggest problems. :?
                          Kevin
                          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I think eventually I'd like a 1000 or 1100, but not quite yet... I think I'll get a good couple years out of the 550 first.

Comment

What is it with these kids on their 600s' "cruising" at 35 tached out at 4K+?. Is it the "girlie bike" syndrome? Do these bikes really not make any usable power below that?
                              My 1150 will pull clean in fifth 2200 to 2500 @ 30 MPH or so. PLUS I'm geared tall...
                              I would'nt have it any other way!
                              Rick........

Comment

Working...
                              X