Great tool for repainting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great tool for repainting

I don't know if this has been posted before, I don't remember seeing it at all. I am repainting my bike and I started on the tank today. Upon suggestion I bought a can of liquid sandpaper. It works great, holy hell.

Make sure to wear adhesive resistant gloves. I found out that rubber gloves are not that. They start to melt after about 15 min. This only works on the tank since this stuff melts plastic (including the plastic spackle knife I used to scrape of the paint). But it made quick work of the tank.

I think it is call 'Liquid Sandpaper', I do know that it's a red can and the pictur is of a chair leg covered in white foam.

Re: Great tool for repainting

Originally posted by djturnz
    I don't know if this has been posted before, I don't remember seeing it at all. I am repainting my bike and I started on the tank today. Upon suggestion I bought a can of liquid sandpaper. It works great, holy hell.

Make sure to wear adhesive resistant gloves. I found out that rubber gloves are not that. They start to melt after about 15 min. This only works on the tank since this stuff melts plastic (including the plastic spackle knife I used to scrape of the paint). But it made quick work of the tank.

I think it is call 'Liquid Sandpaper', I do know that it's a red can and the pictur is of a chair leg covered in white foam.
    hmm, i'll have to try that next time, i used airline paint stripper, worked ...well..not too bad.

Khyron

Comment

Liquid sandpaper is great stuff. I manage a paint and flooring business and we sell all types of strippers two other good strong strippers are Bix Tough Job, and Dads Easy Spray very effective strippers. Take it easy.

Comment

So all you have to do is spray it onto your tank...wait a while...then rinse and your tank is ready to be primed and painted?

Rudi

Comment

Scary as it sounds, yes. That's all it takes.

Wash the tank well, to make sure it's all off! You do NOT want to paint it up and find that you left some in a seam somewhere.

Let;s just say you will have another opportunity to do it right.

Comment

Oh yeah, and be sure to wear some gloves, these strippers will have no problem waxing the hair off your hands and arms or eating through non solvent approved gloves, nasty stuff but effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
              Scary as it sounds, yes. That's all it takes.

Wash the tank well, to make sure it's all off! You do NOT want to paint it up and find that you left some in a seam somewhere.

Let;s just say you will have another opportunity to do it right.
              As Frank Barone would say, "Gez Alu!". If it's that easy, then I'm on board! 8)

Rudi

Comment

And if you can't find Arline Stripper, Walmart sells a really mean one called "Dads" Stripper. Make sure you wear Neoprene gloves cause this stuff will eat you up. It washes off with water and will strip several layers of old paint down to the metal in one application!

Comment

Working...
                X