i know most of you here don't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i know most of you here don't

modify your GS frame, other than swapping the swingarm. but, does anyone know of or have a rigid frame for an 81 GS550. i'm building a bobber style GS and need some frame mods. i know local frame builders, but they want too much $$$$.

[whisper mode]
    Psst, don't let the purist hear this, cut off the rear frame behind the part that holds the engine and replace it with a rigid section, use good materials and make SURE that it's stiff enough and straight, you can use the chain adjusting part of your swingarm on the new rear frame.[/whisper mode]

the site editor thingy **ed out the part between whi and ode when written together

Comment

Frame

Take a look at the monoshock frame of the 86 550L, that's the bike i have and i have removed the shock and hardtailed it...

Comment

Click the website icon at the bottom of this post and see if that's what your looking for. It was an '80 GS1000. Some parts of the site are not working due to change in ISP, I'll have it fixed soon.

Comment

good job wheelie, when do you get your own show on tv?

Comment

Still Got pics of your custome chop job? I have a spare suzuki and some time on my hands... looking for some radical ideas to come up with one hell of a sharp looking original bike..
            Info would be GREATLY appreciated.
            Tom

Comment

Magictom,

I've got tons of pics. Click on the website icon at the bottom of my post. I've been so busy this summer that I just haven't had time to update the website.
              We've (Phoenix Auto Body and I) just finished the body work. Should be primed at the end of the week, that's tomorrow isn't it, and be coming home to finish fabrication.
              The gas tank is two Suzuki tanks welded together. An '80 GS750L and an '80 GS1000. The front fender is (horror of horrors) from a Harley and shortened 6". The rear is the original front from the '80 GS1000 with the mounting ears cut off.
              Other than the initial engineering stage for the frame, I have been making it up as I go. If you have any questions go ahead and ask. I'll help out as much as I can.

Steve

Comment

wow, cool bike. how far are you from Chicago? you should hookup with us Illinois someday for a cruise.

Comment

Checked out the pics man... NICE job! I dont think I am going to CHOP my frame down, I want to make sure that If I screw up or dont like the finihed product I can always go back to the classic GS. Here's my plans:

Teardrop wider gas tank,
                  Custom lower seat that follows the contour of the frame and rear fender.
                  New rear fender that wraps around the tire(love the idea of using the front fender for the rear..by the way)
                  and Forward controls.. Im tall and The controls moving up towards the front of the frame would be much more comfortable..
                  GEEZ, this is like a drug, I cant get it off my mind..
                  Thanks for the info..
                  Wish me luck
                  Tom

Comment

great photos, thats exactly how I wanted to modify my frame but I'm a poor college student so I can't afford a good welder.

Comment

AOD,
                      30 miles due west.

Magictom,
                      Gas tanks are tough because of the frame width. I was thinking of trying a 1400 Intruder tank but never got one to look at.
                      Forward controls may be a bit of a problem because of the width of the engine. They could be built onto a set of engine case guards.

Camaroman,
                      Beg, borrow or trade labor. So far, including the cost of the bike, I'm at $850. As a journeyman carpenter I have a lot of bargining power. Friends with autobody and welding shops are good assets also.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X