V&H PRO PIPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V&H PRO PIPE

I HAVE A 1980 GS1100 L WITH STOCK EXHAUST THAT SEEMS TO BE GOING.

I SAW A VANCE AND HINES DRAG ONLY PRO PIPE ON SALE FROM DK AND WANT TO PUT IT ON.

HOW BIG OF A JOB IS IT? IT SAYS THAT THIS PIPE IS DRAG ONLY CAN I USE IT ON THE STREET AND WILL IT FIT RIGHT ON MY BIKE?

I WANT IT TO BE LOUD BUT DON'T WANT TICKETS IS IT THAT LOUD?

WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T RE-JET?

LOTS OF QUESTIONS FOR A FIRST TIME POST. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

FRED

If the pipe is for the 1000 it should fi.t somtimes with the pro pipe they rub the front tire or fender when you try to turn full lock. I have seen pro pipes on 1150 street bikes. You will have to re-jet and they dont come with a baffle at all and are defenitly ticket loud. If dk is dennis kirk I recommend you buy their street megaphone pipe. If you run your stock air box and the street baffle that comes with it you wont have to rejet most likley. The difference in power betwen the two pipes on a stock or semi stock motor is not noticeable, but the street megaphone retains use of the center stand and oil filter access and drain plug, and wont effect cornering on your bike

Comment

Well crap I just took off the center stand when I installed my V&H...I didn`t know they could stay on. I orderd a pit bull so guess I`ll leave it off. I would do as Skip advised and not run the pro pipe on the street.

Comment

so will the pro pipe fit or what?!?! if so i think i might order it so i can have somethin shiny right now i have a black mac 4to 1 system but i want somethin shiny and from what ive heard v&H is the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$

one question is why do they not list the pro pipe for the 8v gs750 ??? i've got 77gs750 and i want the pro pipe will it fit my bike?????? thanks guys

cHrIs

Comment

I've heard that the Drag pipes make it difficult to turn without dragging them. If you like turning, and I know you do, then you should probably look for a different model.

Comment

I believe that there are 2 designs in the pro pipe(not positive) But if it is true, the one that looks like spagetti will rub against the front tire. then there is one that looks like a regular exhaust systerm and believe that will clear.
            In the attached photo, you can see that i had to change the front wheel and bob the front fender to get pipr clearance.
            Also the closeness to the ground is not a problem for me because my sickness is drag racing and not road racing. It never scrapes in normal driving including going around normal corners.
            I just wanted to add thet this pipe is a star racing pro stock spyder and i believe it is identical to one design of the V&H pro pipe.

Comment

your front tire

Hey Scotty,

what was the front wheel in this pic originally from and what is the diameter of the Rotors on it ??...I am looking to do the same thing as you with the smaller front wheel & the Pro Pipe but i dont know if the Rotors on 16" wheels are the same size..... I have an 82 GS1100GL that i want to slam to the ground as far as possible and still be able to turn decent.... Drag Racing is My Sickness as well so i think you may know where i am coming from... Robb

Comment

Re: your front tire

Originally posted by RCRobb
                Hey Scotty,

what was the front wheel in this pic originally from and what is the diameter of the Rotors on it ??...I am looking to do the same thing as you with the smaller front wheel & the Pro Pipe but i dont know if the Rotors on 16" wheels are the same size..... I have an 82 GS1100GL that i want to slam to the ground as far as possible and still be able to turn decent.... Drag Racing is My Sickness as well so i think you may know where i am coming from... Robb
                the front wheel is 16 inches and from a 750 suzuki. We used the original rotors but had to modify the way the calipers mounted. I think we machined the surface of the calipers to get the rotors to be close to the center of the brake pad area. In fact i am sure of it because i just a few months back did the front brakes and hand filed the surface of one of the calipers to gety uniformity in the way it mounted. I'm still looking for a place to mount the gyroscope.

Comment

Machined the Calipers ??

What you talkin 'bout Willis ???? Machined the Calipers !!! ?????
                  what part of them ? Little confused here.... Robb

Comment

Re: Machined the Calipers ??

Originally posted by RCRobb
                    What you talkin 'bout Willis ???? Machined the Calipers !!! ?????
                    what part of them ? Little confused here.... Robb
                    Sorry--- i took some meat off the surfac((surounding the 2 bolts) where the calipers mounted to the bracket that mounts the calipers to the fork tubes.

Comment

Ohhhhh

OK....thats what I had hoped you meant...thanks for the info... Robb

Comment

Working...
                      X