Dyna Ignition Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna Ignition Question?

Okay GS experts, I'm going to fit a new Dyna3 Ignition and Dyna coils to my 1981 GS1000ST. (2valve)
    Now my bike has the standard factory electronic ignition already, so I want to remove that and the factory coils, and bypass the original amplifier (igniter box?) under the left sidecover.
    Soooooo, can I just disconnect it and remove it, or do I need to disconnect some wires and leave some connected?
    I Couldn't find anything about it in the Dyna instructions, so I need all you guys to help me out, if you're up to it? Thanks guys.

Terry
    I'm not the guy answer your question. However, I am curious to know if your setup came with a schematic. I am about to instal a dyna 2000 shift light and the schematic that came with it is as clear as one could want.

Comment

Is that a dyna s or a dyna 3000?, the dyna s does not require the original ignitor, I believe the 3000 is the same but with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

Thanks Guys, no there was no schematic that came with it, and I couldn't find one on the dyna site. Wouldn't make all that much difference because the item is actually meant for my '79 GS1000SN, which of course was points ignition, but I'm gonna use it on my '81 ST instead.

It's not a Dyna "S" or 3000, it's a Dyna 3. I had a Dyna "S" on another GS1000, it was good, but the "3" is better again. Had one on an old single cam Honda 750 (my other passion) and with the Dyna 3 ohm coils as well, it was incredible.

I reckon I could just hold my thumb near the starter button and that old girl would fire up right away! The spark was so bright you'd think I was mig welding, ha ha!

That's why I'm fitting one to the ST project, I fitted the yoshimura cams and big bore kit last year, but the stock suzuki electronic ignition is about as bright as a 1 watt lightbulb, so I've had nothing but trouble with it ever since. Not any more though, I'm gonna burn that fuel/air mix now, but gooood! :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

I think all of the Dyna's eliminate the ignitor. The Dyna you have would fit my '79 GS1000EN which does'nt use an ignitor. My Dyna 'S' wiring diagram does'nt show or mention an ignitor. I don't think the Dyna 3 would be any different.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
            I think all of the Dyna's eliminate the ignitor. The Dyna you have would fit my '79 GS1000EN which does'nt use an ignitor. My Dyna 'S' wiring diagram does'nt show or mention an ignitor. I don't think the Dyna 3 would be any different.
            I just put on a Dyna S a few months ago...and YES...it does replace the ignitor box. THANK GOD!! That thing would have been expensive...not to mention, another part that could go bad.

Rudi

Comment

Working...
            X