Hot clutch plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot clutch plates

Has anyone ever experienced sitting in extreme slow moving traffic for long periods of time? Litterally moving only feet, if not inches at a time.
    I had this unfortunate opportunity 2 weeks, while making a trip from Dayton to Columbus on my newly purchased GS1100. After enjoy about an hour of teriffic riding on I-70. I was given the wrong directions to get to the Iron Pony Motorcycle Accessories store. I had to spend more time on a surface street than on the interstate as a result of afternoon traffic. Nothing but stop n go. After about 35-40 minutes of this slow creepiing, all of a sudden the bike kept wanting to lunge forward and I realized I was losing my clutch. What a freightening first time experience this was for me. After some repeated attempts to restart the bike, it was to no avail because the bike would not disengage and was on a slight up-hill grade when it stopped. Luckily I was able to roll it off onto a side street and park it. After about 20 minutes of rest and cooling (for both me and the bike), I was able to get it rolling and devised another route to my destination.
    My lesson learned from this: If it ever happens that I am in that situation again, I will make use of neutral gear much more often than I did, or consider more aggressive jumping spaces in line where ever possible.
    Any thoughts on this? Have you ever had it happen?

use the little adjustment on the clutch lever to compensate under those conditions. It is not an uncommon thing to happen.

Comment

had it happen once to a hydraulic clutch... talk about freaky.. turned out I was a little low on fluid.... last time that'll happen (yeah right 8) )

Comment

How long can our bikes stand in stop'n'go traffic anyway? I always get worried about my bike if I have to wait in traffic a long time and when I get home she smells like boiling oil.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
          How long can our bikes stand in stop'n'go traffic anyway? I always get worried about my bike if I have to wait in traffic a long time and when I get home she smells like boiling oil.

Steve
          in florida in the summer, my bike ran cooler in stop and go traffic than at highway speeds. Ill bet it is not a problem. I believe that we notice the temperature more when we are not moving ahead.

Comment

If traffic is moving only a few feet at a time, I usually shut the bike off and push with my feet while sitting on the bike. :-)

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I found that an oil cooler helped this a bit, but not a terrific amount.

What I need to invent is an oil cooler with an electric fan that activates when you are still or moving slow, maybe based off the speedo. That would help a lot, if it wasn't too much of a strain on the charging system.

Comment

HHmmmmmm?

Jedi:
                What a great idea!......I did have such a problem years ago on my old 1000...cruising stop & go in downtown Medford. It was in the triple digit temp. She started bucking the clutch & I noticed the smell of burn't oil, I noticed I was blowing blue smoke.......pulled over to BS with everyone.
                I noticed the freaky "tink ,tink" sound of lots of heat radiating from the motor. After an hour or so she was good to go.
                Hmmm I have a 6" wooden "prop" on an old model airplane gas engine?????
                I'll let you know....
                Rick.......

Comment

Working...
                X