Just got a gs and need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a gs and need some help

I just bought an 82 gs750. I really like the bike, but a couple things need to be fixed. This is my first street bike, so i am not really sure exactly what is the cause of my problems. First, the engine was just rebuilt, and i am not sure, but i was told it has wiseco pistons, and a stage 3 jet kit. It has the k&n pod filters on it, and a supertrapp exaust. Anyway, after running it for a few minutes, if you try to run it at higher rpm's and get any kind of real speed, the bike bogs, and slows down. Then after a couple minutes it starts to sputter than picks up speed again. The second question, when i turn, and i have a decent lean, the back end wobbles. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. There is one other question i was going to ask, i have seen many posts on here about changing forks, and swingarms. I am interested in doing that, but i would like to know what years, and models of gsxr forks and swingarms would work the best on my bike.

Thanks for the help

Bill

I had a similar problem

Hey man... I just got an '81 GS1000g with a similar problem. - Right fine at low speeds, then when you take it on the highway it sputters and loses power (mine stalled out altogether).

Two things: Check the fuel line and check the air filter. On mine, the air filter was so clogge up the engine would run too rich, causing it to sputter and eventually die. If the fuel line is blocked a bit, it will run fine at lower speeds, then when you try to hit higher speeds it will lose power until it gets back to a speed the fuel supply supports.

Fixing the air filter and tracing the fuel line to remove the block (crimped line coming from fuel tank) fixed the problem -- now the bike runs strong through 100mph (havent tried it over that =) .

As for the back end wobble, mine does that too. It feels like it is tryin to slide out from under you. I think that is just because the bike is topheavy and centered pretty far back, but i could be wrong. Low tire pressure will make this worse too, but my pressure is spec and the bike has the same problem.

Im no expert and I dont know much on bikes, i just recognize that as the same problem i had. hope that helps

j

Comment

Check the posts by Swanny and Gerry in this section of the forum. Just about everything you need to know about the GSX-R conversion can be found there.

Comment

thanks i will try that......and i will look up those posts.

Comment

Working...
        X