Replacement coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement coils

Just for grins I bid on and won a set of coils from a late '90s Katana. I got them yesterday and checked the resistance readings on them. Turns out the hunch I had is right. They can be used as replacements for our GS bikes that call for 3 ohm coils. They bolt right on and work just fine. This means you don't have to spend over $100 replacing your old coils. Wait for a set from a newer Katana, Bandit, GSX-R or other Suzuki to be listed and bid on them. I got mine for about $30 and they are only a few years old. The very latest GSX-Rs use individual coils on each plug, so just make sure they are standard style coils.

Billy what a fantastic tip, Thanks!!
    Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
      Billy what a fantastic tip, Thanks!!
      Dink,
      I always figured it would work. Physically they looked identical and in reality they are. You can end up with slightly used coils, wires, plug caps, and the newer coils have rubber tabs on the plug caps that I guess are for pulling the caps off the plugs, but they look like they will also keep the plugs somewhat dry in a driving rain or when washed. I'll have to see if the heat of our motors melts them. Here's the set I won, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2415267199.

Comment

Should be lots of them with all of the sportbikes being crashed

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Should be lots of them with all of the sportbikes being crashed
          If you search under Suzuki, Katana, Bandit, GSX-R, and so on you can usually find at least 5 or 6 sets on Ebay at any given time. There's no reason to pay more than about $30 for a set off of a fairly new bike. Mine looked like they may have come off of a crashed bike. The primary terminals on one coil were bent. Nothing a pair of pliers didn't straighten out. My bike seems to be running better after replacing my 18 year old coils.

Comment

Re: Replacement coils

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Just for grins I bid on and won a set of coils from a late '90s Katana. I got them yesterday and checked the resistance readings on them. Turns out the hunch I had is right. They can be used as replacements for our GS bikes that call for 3 ohm coils. They bolt right on and work just fine. This means you don't have to spend over $100 replacing your old coils. Wait for a set from a newer Katana, Bandit, GSX-R or other Suzuki to be listed and bid on them. I got mine for about $30 and they are only a few years old. The very latest GSX-Rs use individual coils on each plug, so just make sure they are standard style coils.
            Took this advice and bought a pair of '99 Suzie Bandit coils on ebay for $40. The wires were too short, so I bought an Accel universal auto wire set and replaced the wires..(had to dig out the old wires, stick the news one in and seal with RTV) bike runs great. Great tip!

Comment

I bought a pair of 2001 Bandit 1200 coils off ebay, hoping they would fit
              my GS1000. The coils were smaller and didn't match up
              to the holes on my bike. I bought some flat bar steel and made mounting brackets for them, I also had to replace the wires on the #2,3
              coil because the wires were too short.
              But, all's well that ends well.
              They work great :P

Thanks for the tip Billy
              Gods Peace
              Mo

Comment

Wish I had known this when I bought my Dyna's, I'd have saved some cash!!!!

Comment

Great Tip!!!

Read this tip and replaced my stock coils on my '78 GS1000 with a set off a '92 GSXR I got off eBay for $15! The coil wires from the GSXR were labled 1-4 & 2-3. I had to use each new coil on the opposite cylinder (coil 1-4 goes to cylinders 2-3)to make everything fit, but when I was done, I had nearly new coils, hot spark, extra boots, and almost nothing invested! Thank God for you and the GS Resources!

Comment

Right now there's two sets on ebay, one from an '87 GSXR and one from an '89... is it worth replacing my '83 coils for ones that are only a few years newer, or should I wait until some from the 90s come around? I've been getting mediocre mileage, so I'm thinking the 1100e coils could use a replacement.
                    -Lehrin

Comment

Wait for some newer ones,
                      You shouldn't have to pay more than about $30
                      fo some late '90's coils.

Peace
                      Mo

Comment

Here are some off a 1999 Bandit 600.
                        Should work fine.

Peace
                        Mo

Comment

High output coils?

Hi,

I have a 79 gs1k, stock everything except for Dyna S ign. I want some high output or at least better performing coils for my old beastie. If there were an ideal set of coils out there, which would they be?

Thanks

Comment

Would 87 GSXR 1100 coils be a godd choice? They have been used for about 40k Km's

Comment

It only takes a little patience and a few days to find new lisings on Ebay. No sense in buying coils that are just a few years newer than what you have. The newest Gixxers have individual coils on built into each plug cap. Other than that any of them should work. Katana coils are probably the best choice since they still run the air/oil cooled motors. Those motors are wider than the liquid cooled so the wires should be long enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X