Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refurbishing my seat...should I choose leather or vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refurbishing my seat...should I choose leather or vinyl?

Wondering which would be better..especially if it got wet...a leather or vinyl covering.

Thanks! :-)

Rudi

Marine grade vinyl.

Comment

Re: Refurbishing my seat...should I choose leather or vinyl?

Originally posted by Rudi
      Wondering which would be better..especially if it got wet...a leather or vinyl covering.

Thanks! :-)

Rudi
      Funny, a co-worker and I talked about this the other day. He had a custom seat covered in leather and said he wouldn't do it again. His opinion was vinyl was better. I personally have only had vinyl covers on bikes...

Comment

recover

I would go with marine grade vinyl as leather will not stand up to rain or sun.

Comment

Vinyl is probably the better choice for long-term durability, but not the thin crap that was original. I went with leather about a year and a half ago. I put some conditioner on it every now and then. It's held up great, but a year and a half is nothing. It does feel really nice and your butt won't get as hot as with vinyl.

$125 and if it lasts five years, it's $25 a year.

That said, vinyl is a more pragmatic choice.
          "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Marine grade vinyl? Sounds good. Yeah, I kinda figured that vinyl would be the better choice. Leather sounds good...but what happens if you get into a rain storm?

BTW, is the marine grade vinyl thicker than the crappy original? Thanks!

Rudi

Comment

Marine grade vinyl? Sounds good. Yeah, I kinda figured that vinyl would be the better choice. Leather sounds good...but what happens if you get into a rain storm?

Rudi
              The leather hasn't been a problem in rain (and I've been in a lot of rain), but I do put conditioner on it quite a bit.

Marine-grade vinyl, or really any vinyl upholstery material, at a decent upholstery shop will surprise you. Much thicker, better feeling and definitely more durable than the old stock crap. And for a motorcycle seat, it makes no sense to use anything but the best they have - the price difference won't be much and labor will be the same.
              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson

Rudi
                The leather hasn't been a problem in rain (and I've been in a lot of rain), but I do put conditioner on it quite a bit.

Marine-grade vinyl, or really any vinyl upholstery material, at a decent upholstery shop will surprise you. Much thicker, better feeling and definitely more durable than the old stock crap. And for a motorcycle seat, it makes no sense to use anything but the best they have - the price difference won't be much and labor will be the same.
                Bert, will ANY upholstery shop be able to re-cover a motorcycle seat? Or do I need to take it to a speciality shop specializing in this?

Thanks!
                Rudi

Comment

Bert, will ANY upholstery shop be able to re-cover a motorcycle seat? Or do I need to take it to a speciality shop specializing in this?

Thanks!
                  Rudi
                  I really think that any decent auto upholstery shop can do it, especially if you have your pan and foam intact. I went to an auto place and they did a great job. They do a lot of custom in old '50s and '60s cars.

I wish I'd had them put a gel pad in under the drivers part of the seat. Not so much of an issue with you - your butt's a lot younger than mine.

Comment

Rudi,
                    With marine grade vinyl it's a simple do it yourself job. Marine vinyl has more stretch in one direction than the other and the stretchy direction is well suited for going around the more contoured parts of the seat. Just staple it under the seat pan. I've had mine done at upholstery shops before and I ended up doing it better myself than they did. In fact, it's time to do it again afer about 10 years. The marine grade vinyl stands up to the elements better than regular vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                      Rudi,
                      With marine grade vinyl it's a simple do it yourself job. Marine vinyl has more stretch in one direction than the other and the stretchy direction is well suited for going around the more contoured parts of the seat. Just staple it under the seat pan. I've had mine done at upholstery shops before and I ended up doing it better myself than they did. In fact, it's time to do it again afer about 10 years. The marine grade vinyl stands up to the elements better than regular vinyl.
                      How would I staple it? The seat pan is metal, isn't it?

Rudi

Comment

Mine is plastic, if yours is metal there are usually tabs that you bend over to hold the cover.

Comment

Mine is plastic, if yours is metal there are usually tabs that you bend over to hold the cover.
                          Oh! I'll have to look into this. Where can you buy marine grade vinyl, anyway?

Thanks!
                          Rudi

Comment

I get mine at a fabric shop.

Comment

I get mine at a fabric shop.
                              A fabric shop? Great!

But I just thought of something...what if I want to get the same "look" of my original seat. This would mean having the stitch patterns the same.
                              Starting to sound like I'd have to send this off to be done professionally, doesn't it?

Rudi

Comment

Working...
                              X