1978 GS550 Completes Iron Butt Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS550 Completes Iron Butt Ride

We recently completed (awaiting verification) a Saddlesore 1000, 1000 miles in about 22 hours, with total distance covered of 1357 miles in 28.5 hours.

I took my Concours, and my co-rider took the GS550 we'd fixed up over the winter. Several of you had helped out with hints & tips over the winter specifically with the carbs, and a last minute question about pod filters in the rain so thanks to you !

The ride was perfect. Left Norcal at 8:00 on Friday night, and rode up to the Portland Or area, arriving at 7:00 on Sat morning. A quick coffee at a friends house, then off towards Bend, Oregon.

For those of you who hear advice not to drink coffee on long rides, its true !!! You get a quick high, but then end up lower than without the coffee. While riding I had a "long blink" at 70mph !! I quickly pulled over, and took several deep breaths. I also got out my iPod and decided that it was time to add some music to my brain. For those of you interested in adding music to your brain buckets, I highly recommend the Apple iPod. With capacity for 2000+ songs and a battery charge life of 10 hours it is a great way to listen to music without constantly changing stations or CDs..

We checked the Suzuki along the way, little to no oil loss, but somewhere in the night we lost the right side cover !

The roads were absolutely perfect as we passed Crater Lake and made our way into Northeast California.. forests, clear pavement, and the steady buzz of the 550 as I followed behind. Perfect sunny weather.

We hit the town of Canby, CA around 5:00pm on Saturday. This was 1000 miles by the Suzuki odometer, and a little more by mine. I had installed a Sigma bicycle computer on the Suzuki and according to it the Suzuki odometer was dead accurate. This is notable given that the speedometer on the 550 swings though a 30-40mph range at anything above 30 mph.. Shades of Lucas . Maybe its time to rebuild the speedo..

Following behind the Suzuki we rode a little further east to McArthur, CA just to make sure we really covered 1000 miles. We came across a couple of friendly CHP officers and they witnessed the forms with the ending odometer reading.

As we continued east to Redding, I noticed that the Suzuki was backfiring occasionally at WOT... but everything else seemed to be ok.

As darkness fell we were heading south on I5 when my co-rider suddenly pulled onto the shoulder, and cut her speed to 40mph. When my fatigued brain finally clued in I noticed that the headlight was out. This was the 3rd bulb in about 2 month to blow, and we had cleaned all the connections prior to the trip..

As we headed at this speed to the next exit, she suddenly swerved to into my lane. At the last minute she'd noticed a tire carcass on the shoulder and almost managed to swerve around it... almost. She hit it and the GS550 was instantly reborn as a motocross bike ! Fortunately she regained control, we hit the exit and after checking for soiled pants changed the bulb with about 10 millions bugs keeping us company. Always carry spare bulbs

After that it was pretty much superslab riding until safely arriving home at 12:30 Sunday morning. Final odometer reading on the GS550 was 1357 miles, in roughly 28.5 hours of riding.

Not to bad for a 25 yr old bike !! and damn fine riding for a 20 yr old rider.

A couple of days later I checked the points, and sure enough the gap was way way off. Resetting it, the bike now pulls smoothly up to redline.

congratulations, that was quite a ride, I will have to try it some day.

Comment

Congrats on that
      I want to do something like that after I retune the old gs. I have had problems with my right side cover as well, on a 600 mile ride I lost one onlyto have the replacemnt fall of a year later.

Comment

I put a small hole in the bottom lip of my side covers, and strung a tiny bungee cord from one, through the frame, to the other.

They don't fall off anymore.

Comment

Thanks for the tips on side covers... The ride was a lot of fun, but definitely tiring at the end of 28.5 hours.

If you're going to do the ride I think you have to figure out if you want to do maximum distance or maximum scenery.. We chose scenery. Max distance (or shortest time) means taking fast interstates wherever you can, max scenery are all the side 2 lane highways with great curves!

The only real limitation with the GS550 was the size of the gas tank. My Concours with its 7.5 gal tank would go twice the distance of the GS. There are several long distance websites that talk about aux fuel cells, but I wouldn't want to be riding something that had the potential to be a "Molotov GS".. ;-)

I forgot to mention in the original post, but I had a "camelback" water carrier and that turned out to be a great investment, especially travelling through the high desert where the air just wicks the moisture from your body.

But regardless.. check out the Iron Butt website.. Plan a route, tune it up, take extra fuses & bulbs and have a great safe ride.

Tim

Comment

Great ride! I am glad to see an older GS can hang in there. I am not technically going for the Iron Butt, but I am putting in extreme miles on my '80 GS 850 next month. I am riding from Crescent City, CA (NW corner) to do the Circle Lake Superior Tour, and back. My calculations put the ride somewhere in the 5K miles range over 3 weeks. From your post I will remember spare bulbs definately. If I get to some cyber cafes along the way I'll post some, or give a wrap up when I get back.

Comment

Far out!!!, check my sig, got one of each...luv 'em both!

Comment

Good luck with the ride !...

Remember, I don't ride the GS550 on these trips, I'm just the mechanic !! I prefer the luxury of the Concours...

The person who does ride it took it for another long trip this weekend, from the bay area to Reno, to Vegas , through death valley at 3:00 am (apparently was still really hot) and back again. Around 34 hours of more or less straight riding..

We'd put the Dyna 3 ignition in just before she left, and it performed very well.. There is a small leak now from the seal around the shifter so I'll have to check that out this week..

I think she's put about 3100 miles on the GS550 in the last three weeks and apart from the one headlight bulb and the points drifting on the Iron Butt ride its performed flawlessly..

I think its ready for a carb resync, as the best we're able to coax out of it is about 97mph top end.

Best of luck with the long rides !

Tim

2002 Concours
                2000 KLX 300R
                1978 GS550 w/ Dyna 3, 4-1 Header, Pod Filters, Re-Jetted, Sigma Bicycle Computer, missing side cover !

Comment

My GS has begun to leak out of the shift leaver as well. o well, if something wasnt going wrong I would be bored

Comment

In 1990 my husband, riding a 1983 Suzuki GS750E and his dad (I don't know what bike he had at the time) rode the entire perimeter of the US starting in NJ in 5 weeks. It was the ride of a lifetime. His favorite state was Montana. They did 99% backroads and only used the highway when that was the only choice. My parents are taking our son for a week in August and I am hoping to do a nice roadtrip at that time. I will definately head north from NJ since I can't handle the extreme heat in the south that time of year. We have friends in MA and Maine so we might head that way. It all depends if my hubby can get off work and if I am up to it. I have lung disease which impacts my riding and August is kind of tough on me due to the humidity. So it will have to be a last minute decision.

Take care!

Char

Comment

Char.. sorry to hear about the lungs, hope you can make the trip. maybe a cool coastal ride is the ticket!.

As for the leaking shift lever, we pulled off the linkage and the cover the other night and found 25yrs worth of chain lube, birds nests, and assorted road pickings on the inside of the cover.. But there was definitely a new stream of petroleum product on top of it all, so we'll have to examine the seal closely..

Even more interesting .. there was no nut holding the front sprocket on !!!! Can you imagine? All the miles that we've put on the bike since the winter and the sprocket was free to depart the shaft at any time.. the things you find when you take the covers off...

Tim

Comment

I am begining to think that you are riding my motorcycle..... About one month ago I replaced the clutch cable and pulled the side cover off only to discover... No damn sprocket Nut - I think it is because the sprokets were replaced and the washer was not put back on......In any event I know the felling you had......I was thinking of all the backroads I had been on that were miles away from anywere and how bad that could have sucked

Comment

Working...
                        X