Throttle Return Spring GS1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Return Spring GS1000L

I don't know how many of you guys have this problem with other model GS's but on my 79 L model the throttle return spring on the carburetor rack is one hell of a tight and strong spring. If you rode this thing for any length of time you realize it really strains your wrist to keep the throttle open on the highway on long stretches or just ordinary riding. At first I tried resolving this by buying hand grips that had a molded palm pad on the throttle grip. This fix was ok but still a chore after a while. I ended up going down to a hardware store and found myself a lighter duty spring, pried the sucker off and replaced it. The spring has only the lightest of pull and now riding it is a joy because I am not wrestling the grip anymore.

Ahh Haa.

I don't think I'll replace mine, but I know what you mean. The main problem I have with mine is holding the linkage up while I try to fish the lead ball back into the socket. My finger is usually about to give out by the time I get the wire back into place.

Comment

I've noticed the same thing about my 1980 GS1100L! The throttle return spring is killer.

Was it difficult to replace it with a lighter spring?

- Eric

Comment

No took the tank off and used long needle nosed pliers and it popped right off. Replaced it with a light duty spring I found in a hardware store.

Update: I recently, for reasons I won't go into, had to put back the original spring. Found a quick simple way to put it on. Remove the tank, get a piece of heavy twine, slip the twine through the loop on the top of the spring on the throttle stop, pull the twine straight up through the top of the backbone frame till it comes off the top pin. Slack off and the bottom one will pop out too. Take the twine and loop it through the new spring, lower it through the channel and hook it using your finger reaching from under the carbs. Once hooked, pull on the string till it's upper loop is at the top pin and maneuver it onto the pin. Sounds complicated but you can change a spring in about 2 minutes using this technique.

Comment

Working...
        X