Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speed wobble

need help again..........

i seem to have a high speed wobble and can't figure out if itd=s the windshield or something else.

tires are in good shape but cheap (cheng shin)

windshield is a national cycle airhawk.

tire pressure is good

when tires were mounted they were't balanced but were checked and said not to need balance.

anyone have any ideas??

oh the wobble occurs over 85. how much over i don't know as the speedo only goes to 85. about 6m rpm in 5th. bike is a 1980 gs1100L.

thanks in advance

Steering head bearings??

Comment

Could be a combo of a couple things; maybe worn bearings coupled with slightly off balance tires.?

Comment

Re: speed wobble

Originally posted by mbfmgp
        need help again..........

i seem to have a high speed wobble and can't figure out if itd=s the windshield or something else.

tires are in good shape but cheap (cheng shin)

windshield is a national cycle airhawk.

tire pressure is good

when tires were mounted they were't balanced but were checked and said not to need balance.

anyone have any ideas??

oh the wobble occurs over 85. how much over i don't know as the speedo only goes to 85. about 6m rpm in 5th. bike is a 1980 gs1100L.

thanks in advance
        I have a similiar bike 81gs750L chassis with '80 GS1100 engine and had a wobble as you describe at speed over 85 mph. At the time I was running a small windshield(spitfire?) and cheng shin tires. I removed the windshield and tightened the steering stem bearings and have not experienced any wobbles since, but I've not remounted the windshield so I don't know whether the windshield had anything to do with it. 6k in 5th should be good for about 90-95 mph if you have stock gearing. Suggestion would be to try one thing at a time, but I would start with the stem bearings followed by removal of the windshield.

Comment

You probably need to tighten the bearing about 1/4 turn. You should put the bike on the centerstand and adjust it. You should loosen the upper fork pinch bolts also so you don't bind the upper clamp.Tighten until you feel just a slight drag when turning the bars side to side.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Check all of the above...the widscreen may be the main problem, but tyre/suspension combinations can also do this. How good are the rear shocks? If the damping is/has gone the rear will start pumping up and down on the suspension. Often the early stage damping goes so this problem is worse on smoother roads...I have worn out a few rears shocks in my time, and my current ones are due for a rebuild.

Also try stringlining the wheel alignment...can also be wheel bearings, swing arm pivot bears etc....The best place to start is the most obvious.

Comment

HIGH SPEED WOBBLE

THANKS ALL YOUSE GUYS.

I'LL TIGHTEN THE STEERING HAD FIRST AND TEST IT OUT.

REGARDS .

FRED

Comment

Try this

I found play in the main swinging arm pivet and it solved my wobble

Comment

Easyies thing to do is remove the windshield and take it for a ride . If the windshield is mounted to the front forks the wind will cause your problem

Comment

Could be...

I had a wobble that occurred only on curves at high speeds like over 60mph on my GS850. The wobble felt like the bike was "Scalloping" around the curve which was very unnerving. After having new tires installed and the technician noticing that my front fork pressure was not up to snuff nor equal,.... she now tracks true. New tires? better tire balance? fork pressure.... one or all of the three..
                    Mike N.

Comment

Working...
                    X