Leaky petcock fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky petcock fix

Here is a way to fix your leaky, vacuum-operated petcock without having to buy a $25 petcock repair kit. Even if your stock petcock still works ok, this allows you one extra position/function......that of "OFF". I've have mine this way for just over a week now, and it hasn't leaked a drop.

Billy Miles did something similar a few weeks back, and after reading his post, I decided to carry it just a bit further. This is what I did.

Take petcock apart and clean it. Now, ensure that your gasket/seal (the one pictured with the 4 holes in it) is in usable condition. Mine was gouged up on the sealing side, from a piece of metal that had worked its way there (Don't ask me how it got there, I just got this bike 10 days ago ). I just flipped this around, using the former backside of it as the sealing side, since it was still nice and undamaged.

The mounting plate is modified. I used my Dremmel, and took off the little notch on the mounting plate, which prohibited me from turning the handle "up". The "up" position is a mechanical shutoff. Whether vacuum or not, if in the "up" position, no fuel will flow. The "up" position is therefore now the "OFF" position.

To complete the package, I just had to file away the tip of the handle (that above the little ring) to make enough clearance for the handle between it and the fuel tank.

Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

I thought about doing that after taking the thing apart a few times and seeing how the holes lined up but never went for it. Sounds like a good idea though, whatever will get wifey to stop complaining about gassy smelling garage. Thanks for your other ideas I'll keep ya posted.

Comment

THANKS Frosty!I always wondered about that.Now we know how to do it.

Comment

This tip is a winner for sure

Comment

Walker wrote:

......whatever will get wifey to stop complaining about gassy smelling garage.
          Tell wifey to stop making you baked beans for dinner
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

I have a question about the petcock. It may be a silly question, but this is the first bike I have owned and I don't know alot about them. When I got the bike the petcock was set in the middle position pointing to the fuel label. Is this the normal position or should it be pointing to the pri position. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by workboots
              I have a question about the petcock. It may be a silly question, but this is the first bike I have owned and I don't know alot about them. When I got the bike the petcock was set in the middle position pointing to the fuel label. Is this the normal position or should it be pointing to the pri position. Thanks
              Prime is just to get fuel to the carbs if it has been sitting more than a couple of days. The PRI position allows fuel to flow without vacuum to fill the carbs before cranking. Turn it to the PRI position for 20 or 30 seconds then return it to the run position. 180 degrees from PRI sholud be a reserve (RES) postion.

Comment

Useful info - I tip my hat to you.

Comment

thanks for the information. I thought pri was for primary so I am glad I asked.

Comment

One thing to make sure of - the petcock has an arrow embossed on it - it's this arrow that dictates which setting it's on.

The reason that I brought this up is that with my petcock set to "On", it also looks like it's set to "Fuel" if you misread it (180 degree difference). "Fuel" isn't a setting, it's just a lable so you know what the petcock knob is for.

Squat down and look at the knob - you'll see the arrow.

-Q!

Comment

modified petcock

I took my petcock apart this evening and applied the modification listed in this topic. It worked great. Although the leak seems to be gone, I have my doubts. Anyway I now have a off position and know that the gasket and o-ring will be easy to replace if needed. Thanks for the information

Comment

This is most awesome. I'm going to do this mod before I even have any fuel leak issues. I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the flow in case of a bad vacuum/diaphragm.

Thanks a lot!!
                        Dm of mD

Comment

Wish I read this forum before I shelled out $150Cdn for a replacement petcock that still leaks but not as bad. My float needles are tired and so the extra gas drips on the floor and smells nasty. The dealer wants me to return it first before they will order another which will put me down for @2wks in the hotest part of the summer. Not! I will definitly try this mod.

Comment

Working...
                          X