Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I convert an 80/81 GS 1100 to the newer 82/83 look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I convert an 80/81 GS 1100 to the newer 82/83 look?

I have an 80/81 GS 1100E that for two years I have been looking for a reasonably priced seat for, with no luck. I can have an 82 style seat made, or even find plenty of used ones and I prefer that look any way. My question is will the tank/side plates/rear faring seat from an 82 go onto an 80/81 frame without too much modification? I have seen photos of 80/81s on this web site with that look so I thought I would post the question here.

Thanks for years of great information!

Michael
    michaelbess@skydivetoledo.com

The 81 1100 is exactly like my 82 750. My brothers 83 1100 has different brackets for the gas tank mounting and seat mounting. Also the locator holes for the side covers are totally different, along with the mounting tabs for the rear tail section. It is possible if you find an old frame and cut off and re-weld them on to your frame. Depends on how badly you want it I guess.

Good Luck!

Andre

Comment

Look for a seat that fits 80-82 GS750E models. They are interchangeable with your '81 1100 seat. They are on e-bay at least once per week. I paid $80 for a NOS seat, but a used one in good condition can be had for $25-50, depending on your luck.

Comment

Working...
      X