Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone "Ceramic" coated their GS engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone "Ceramic" coated their GS engine?

I was wondering if any of you have "ceramic" coated your GS engines? Did it come out ok? I've heard this is a GREAT thing to do...as it would make the engine look new for many years.

Rudi
    1980 GS1100E

If you are talking about a ceramic coating such as on headers, you might want to rethink it. That coating is designed to NOT transfer heat. If you are talking about powder coating, I'm not sure what the thermal transfer is.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
      If you are talking about a ceramic coating such as on headers, you might want to rethink it. That coating is designed to NOT transfer heat. If you are talking about powder coating, I'm not sure what the thermal transfer is.
      What do you mean, "transfer heat"? I was under the impression that ceramic coating an engine is a good thing...due to it helping the dissipation of heating. Resulting in a cooler running engine. Not to mention the cosmetic advantages of ceramic coating....

Am I wrong?

Rudi
      1980 GS1100E

Comment

I thought the same thing rudi.. Have had several sets of b.b headers that have been ceramic coated so I am not sure. Wjh it does is didssipate it evenly so it stays cooler allowing for faster smoother exhaust flow and more power..(similar to the cooling chambers BORLA uses in their exhaust systems)

Comment

Originally posted by bybowtie
          I thought the same thing rudi.. Have had several sets of b.b headers that have been ceramic coated so I am not sure. Wjh it does is didssipate it evenly so it stays cooler allowing for faster smoother exhaust flow and more power..(similar to the cooling chambers BORLA uses in their exhaust systems)
          So it does make the engine run cooler? If this is the case, isn't ceramic coating the undisputed choice?

Rudi
          1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi
            Originally posted by bybowtie
            So it does make the engine run cooler? If this is the case, isn't ceramic coating the undisputed choice?
            Not quite. It keeps the outside of the exhaust pipe cooler by trapping the heat inside the pipe (therefore the heat isn't transfered to the motor, which is why many aftermarket car headers are ceramic coated). If you ceramic coat your motor you will be trapping the heat inside the motor which we all know is a bad thing.

Comment

Not quite. It keeps the outside of the exhaust pipe cooler by trapping the heat inside the pipe (therefore the heat isn't transfered to the motor, which is why many aftermarket car headers are ceramic coated). If you ceramic coat your motor you will be trapping the heat inside the motor which we all know is a bad thing.
              Ok...so you're saying it's ok for exhaust pipes..but NOT for engines? I'm trying to get this straight before I fork out $$ to have it done at AirBorn Coatings Co.

Rudi

Comment

What about doing your engine with a high temp aluminum paint? Just the block, head and cylinders. And polishing the covers.
                That's what I plan on doing.
                There many rattle can types available and I've seen several that can be shot through a paint gun.

Comment

In the information from Jet-Hot, it explains that the heat is kept in the exhaust which is why the headers run cooler.

Comment

I kind of think of the space shuttle. The ceramic tiles are a good insulator when re-entering the atmosphere. They keep the frictional heat out, of the shuttle.

Being an insulator, and not a conductor, this would keep heat IN your engine. Not always the best choice.

Satch

Comment

The idea behind ceramic coated headers is to keep the heat in the exhaust gases, because it causes it to flow freely. If it cools down before exiting the exhaust system, it creates a bottleneck. I had done much research on this when I wanted to put headers on my truck, because I was curious about the advantages of the ceramic coated products over those that are not coated.

Based on that assumption, you would not want to ceramic coat an engine, because it would not allow the heat to dissapate.

Comment

Originally posted by brs127s
                        The idea behind ceramic coated headers is to keep the heat in the exhaust gases, because it causes it to flow freely. If it cools down before exiting the exhaust system, it creates a bottleneck. I had done much research on this when I wanted to put headers on my truck, because I was curious about the advantages of the ceramic coated products over those that are not coated.

Based on that assumption, you would not want to ceramic coat an engine, because it would not allow the heat to dissapate.
                        Very convincing, brs127s. I think you may have gotten me off the ceramic coating idea. What do you think of powder-coating an engine..then applying a clear coat as a final step?

Rudi

Comment

I believe poweder coating followed by a clear coat is how today's engines are painted. I don't see any harm in it, but others may have a different opinion.

Comment

I'd be concerned about some of the powder getting inside the engine case during the process. I know it would be masked off but your talking about powder here and it can creep in some awfully small openings.
                            I had my frame done and it looks great but I did have to cleanup a couple of mounting points/bolt holes and that stuff is quite hard. Would be pretty bad if some worked it's way into internal passage (oil galleries, ect..) and then got baked in there. Or maybe just a light coating on some of the crank journals and caused it to be mounted in an unaligned position.
                            Just my .02 worth.

Comment

Originally posted by pjackson
                              I'd be concerned about some of the powder getting inside the engine case during the process. I know it would be masked off but your talking about powder here and it can creep in some awfully small openings.
                              I had my frame done and it looks great but I did have to cleanup a couple of mounting points/bolt holes and that stuff is quite hard. Would be pretty bad if some worked it's way into internal passage (oil galleries, ect..) and then got baked in there. Or maybe just a light coating on some of the crank journals and caused it to be mounted in an unaligned position.
                              Just my .02 worth.
                              Yeah, it's a valid concern. However, Airborn coatings is a very reputable place...they do this kind of work for NASCAR cars...I would think they could handle my little GS1100 Engine with no problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X