Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aluminum gs1100 swingarm and wheel question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aluminum gs1100 swingarm and wheel question.

What is the largest wheel that i can fit into this swingarm. Can a 4.5" wheel fit? Will i need to change bearings or internals or just use spacers?

Any input would be great!

Re: aluminum gs1100 swingarm and wheel question.

Originally posted by galaxian
    What is the largest wheel that i can fit into this swingarm. Can a 4.5" wheel fit? Will i need to change bearings or internals or just use spacers?

Any input would be great!
    What would the advantage be of adding a larger than stock-recommended-sized tires? Just curious....would it make the bike handle better?

Rudi
    1980 GS1100E

Comment

more rubber on the ground = better traction. This is only true to a certain point. Meaing if you go beyond that point handling suffers.

Comment

The primary advantage for me to go to the larger rims (GSXR) is to take advange of the radial tires rather than use the old bias ply. I would not put the effort into widing the rims unless I could use radial.

Comment

Hi there!
          I have a 4,5" rim on my -83 GS1100 and it?s wonderful
          I have a widened original rim, wich requires nothing special to fit the swingarm. However you need to space out your drivechain sprockets with app. 6mm. Further you must replace it from 630 to 530 too. If you use a stock rim like I, 6mm spacers is about it and it requires no support bearing at the front sprocket. Further you need to modify your brake tensionarm a little to let it go free from the tire.
          If you use a -89 GSXR rim you need to fabricate spacers for the axle to center the rim properly. And the rear sprocket holder have to be milled down a bit to get the sprocket nearer to the rim. I dont know exactly how much though.
          Another thing to think about: the diagonal tires are harder to compress, meaning the shock absorbers are softer than those with radial tires. I should guess that a pair of good aftermarket ones or std from a newer bike such as the GS(X)1400 should work(after a little modifying of course)
          I run a pair of ?hlins wich works great with my Michelin 160-60-17.
          The easiest way would be a stock rim I think.
          To go for GSXR you can go to www.biker66.com to read about some of the work concerning the rebuild, and last; you will need to replace your rear brak assembly for that too

Comment

Working...
          X