X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEAK PROOF SEALS Inc. fork seals

woo hoo, I get the first review!!

This is a review of leak proof seals Incorporated "pro-moly" fork seals
    they are guaranteed to not leak for as long as you own your bike or life!!

the seals perform as advertised they are very tough and with stand incredible abuse, my first experience with the promoly seals was with my yamaha dirt bike that had a bad habit of eating factory fork seals due to the abuse I put it through, I was getting tired or replacing seals when I was told to give the pro moly seals a try, I did and they are still in the bike 5 years later.
    they have withstand-ed everything I have thrown at them and have yet to ooze mutchless leak, and in those five years I have not had to even add any air to the forks.
    my GS experience with them is new, during the Oktoberfest Texas GS ride, last october my right fork developed a leak , I disassembled my forks, cleaned and reassembled them using factory suzuki seals, the factory seal lasted just over a week before it started to leak I disassembled it again and discovered this time a very small nick in the inner tube, but due to the impending spring GS get together was unable to replace the fork tube and put a factory seal back and hoped it would hold for the ride, it failed in a big way three days latter .
    due to low funds and the desire to keep riding till I could get a new inner fork tube I remembered the leak proof seals and decided to put a set in till I could replace the tube.
    I ordered a set and was surprised to learn that they cost nearly half of what the factory seals cost!!

the leak proof seals have been in for seven days now and they are holding perfectly.
    the leak proof pro- moly seals are a two piece seal consisting of a seal and a retaining washer.
    the included instructions are complete but can be confusing due to the fact that they cover the installation of all types of fork seals not just the instructions for the suzuki GS seals.
    company contact info:
    LEAK PROOF SEALS
    PO box 61
    Pataskala, OHIO
    phone# (740) 927-5300
    fax# (740) 927-2510

part number 5239 includes two seals and two retaining washers
    seal kit 5239 fits these GS models:
    GS500e,'89-'00; gs550e,es,'83-'86;
    gs750s,'83;gs850,'79-'83; gs1000,'78-'82;
    gs1100e,es,'80-'83; gs1100g,gl,'82,'83;
    gs1100l,'80; gs110s (??)'83;
    gs1150e,es,ef,'83-'86

they also fit other makes and models of bikes.

Tried them in my V65 Magna. They did not work. :? Went to the factory Honda ones, no problem. 8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I had good luck with leak proof seals on an RL-250 Suzuki and a KT-250 Kawasaki as well as many Yamahas, but they didn't work well at all, leaked from the start on my Honda V65 Sabre and also on a TLR-200 Honda Reflex.

One thing to try with the nick in the upper fork tube is to smooth the nick with some fine 800 or better sand paper or steel wool. The Honda Sabre I had had some shallow chips and scratches in the fork tube slider and I was able to polish the out with some Emory cloth followed by 1000 grit sand paper.

When I got the bike the fork tubes were leaking and I tried a set or leak proof seals that leaked worse than the worn out seals that were in the bike. I then tried some stock Honda seal and the last for a couple of weeks until they started leaking again.

I polished the chips and scratches out, working in small circular motions and finishing with back and forth motions perpendicular to the direction of fork travel to minimize the possibility of scratches across the sealing area and the next set of seals went 40k.

Mike

Comment

leak proof seals

Just fitted a set of leak proof pro-moly seals to a Bandit 400 and I'm very impressed with the result. Easy to fit, instructions were good and far easier than the hard Suzuki seals I remember fitting to another bike years ago. The right fork seal had been leaking badly and now it doesn't so I'm happy. Refilling with Putoline HPX10 fluid has made a world of difference to the front end too.

Comment

Installed them on the GS1000L and they are great! The bike handles better than I could have hoped, but it could have been because now it actually has some oil in the forks!!

Comment

Working...
          X