SWAPPING ELECTRICS FOR SUZUKI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SWAPPING ELECTRICS FOR SUZUKI

I am planning on buying an 83 GS 400 with troubled electronics....namely, a buggy alternator. I heard tell that there was a Yamaha bike that had an alternator that fitted nicely. Anybody here know the particular model/year I'd have to look for at the salvage yard?

I personally have an 1100 stator on my 750. As far as your GS goes. I would start on a yamaha XS400 and work up from there. Probably a seca 400 stator would work also. Try the 550's as well. I had a seca 550 without any power problems at all so I know their stators are good.

Comment

All GS series bikes have a "buggy" altenator, You dont need to change it just get it rewound by any local electrical place that does motor rewinds, you know like washing machines etc.
      BTW it is more the fault of the Rectifier/Regulator than the altenator, the rec/reg was to small for the job and of a poorer quality.
      Dink

Comment

Swapping electrics for Suzuki

I'm still running the original stator in my '79 550 with a Honda Superdream reg/rec (see "my regulator modification"). Keep your oil topped up and change it regularly as the oil helps to cool the stator. If it overheats it pushes out too high a current with predictable results.

Comment

Working...
        X