Cafe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe project

Hey guys. I am planning my first bike, and i need some help. I am in the market for a cheap GS400(insurance is half that of a 550) so I can clean it up and do some work on it. I am looking for the cafe racer look, so I wanna put some racing bars on it and a nice fairing. I was thinking of this fairing, might have to change the headlight, but it's worth it. http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/p...ub3.asp?id=551
    The i would paint it a bright it up nicely and use it for cruises on the weekend. Does anyone have a fairing like that? how does it look? lets see some pics of nice cafe bikes. thanks

I just put that fairing on my 81 650G. It looks great. Watch out for he moutning brackets though. They were way too wide. I had to do some bending and cussing to get it to fit. If someone can tell me how to post pics, I will put one up for you.

Comment

that would be awesome if you could get some pics. Did you change your handlebars? hows the riding position? thanks

Comment

Re: Cafe project

Originally posted by TDRacing
        I was thinking of this fairing, might have to change the headlight, but it's worth it. http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/p...ub3.asp?id=551
        The i would paint it a bright it up nicely and use it for cruises on the weekend. Does anyone have a fairing like that? how does it look? lets see some pics of nice cafe bikes. thanks
        That fairing works pretty well on my Yamarat. The brackets have to be adjusted (cut and bent) to fit your bike. The fasteners are really crap and will rust very quickly, but that's easy to replace. You also may have to cut away a little for the turn signals to fit - depends on the bike.
        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

I have the exact same thing on my 1100 and it seems to work fine.

Comment

I thought about a fairing on my bike but went with the naked look, I think that the 400-450 twins are a great basis for a cafe project...fours just dont look brittish enough...
            Chris.[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by newtech78
              I thought about a fairing on my bike but went with the naked look, I think that the 400-450 twins are a great basis for a cafe project...fours just dont look brittish enough...
              Chris.[/img]
              Excuse me!! 8O There were (and still are) some incredible in-line 4 cylinder cafe racers ... Dunstall, Cooley, Lawson - the list goes on!! Trying to look "british" is not what it's all about!! 8)

Comment

I realize that there were some kick ass 4s, but if you notice my use of the letter I, I like the way BSAs and Nortons looked thats why I see the twins as a good choice...thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by newtech78
                  I realize that there were some kick ass 4s, but if you notice my use of the letter I, I like the way BSAs and Nortons looked thats why I see the twins as a good choice...thanks...
                  I did notice and "I" have to agree with you - they are the bikes that started the whole cafe trend.

Please don't take my "comments" the wrong way ... some of us are just easily excited!! 8)

Comment

I understood your comment completely, and I do see your point, I have a problem of not writing exacticaly what I am thinking, I hate typing so I tend to shorten things up a bit...no problem and thanks...Chris.

Comment

Working...
                    X