Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires

I'm gonna need some new skins for my bike. :? Any ideas? No complaints about the present ones, they're just worn out. Metzler ME33 Laser on the front and Yokohama Tour Star on the rear. Yeah, I know, lotsa luck getting a Yoko, they only make car tires now. 8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

I'm quite happy with the Bridgestones I have on now. I've had Continental, Pirelli and Yoko over the years, but the Bridge's are just as good, if not a more versatile tire. Personal pref I guess as well as availability.

Comment

Mycycle got Brigdestone Battleaxes on both my bikes not to bad could be just a little softer on the front for the 750

Comment

I am running Bridgestone Battleaxe's, so far so go.........very sticky good grip. Durability? Dunlop GT 501's are also good from what I have heard.

8) Dr. Dre 8)

Comment

My new rear is a Metzeler ME55 metronic. It is the best tire I've used on a GS, bar none. the front I have now is a Bridgestone spitfire. Its pretty good, but don't get the spitfire rear it sux delux.....

Comment

Cheapy's

I was on a budget and decided to try the Cheng Shin Hi-Max's. They aren't Metzlers, but for about 50 bucks each I'm impressed! I expected squirmy, cheapy tire syndrome, but they're actually pretty good. My 850G isn't a racer in any case!

Comment

I know almost nothing about bike tires (except not to ride on old/worn ones), and I asked for good tires at the shop I went to. They highly recommended the Maxxis tires. Their parent company is Cheng Shin (didn't know what that meant at the time) but Maxxis before recently made mostly bicycle and dirt bike tires. I've since read some favorable reviews of the Super Maxx that did well on the track though not designed for it. They sold me Pro Maxx's wich is probably less of a performance tire. I can't say yay or nay to them, I only know they're a heck of a lot more stable than the ossified Continentals that were on it when I got it. I know this because I took it out on them to get a reference of how it handled before anything was touched on it.

I've also read that actual Cheng Shin tires, though widely poo-pooed by riders, are not horrible tires at all. They will most likely wear faster than a really good tire, but being down on cash, given the choice between banana skins and Cheng Shins, put on the Cheng Shins and go riding. Just don't go racing. So I've read anyway, seems to make sense to me.

I guess I'll see how long the Pro Maxx's last, that will be easier than asessing their handling. Think I'll need a few years and sets of tires to do that.

Comment

I just purchased dunlop 501 gts and like them alot. Now we all know all new tires feel great compared to the old ones but my old ones were not that bad they were dry rotted not worn out, I had a metzler me33 lazer in the front and a me 99 perfect in the rear I like the dunlops better so far.Now to be fair to metzler I must tell you that I changed my steering head bearings also while I was having my tires mounted and the combo of all three may account for my drasticly improved handling

Comment

The improvement in handling is 90%, at least, due to the change in steering head bearings. New tires help out, mostly because they're still rounded, where worn tires, especially rear, have squared out. In order to make judgements, one must try one variable at a time.

Nick

Comment

The ME33 is a great road front tyre. The battalaxe BT45 I had before wore quickly, but really gripped - not as accurate in steering as the ME33.

The Spitfire I had on the back was ok, but not too grippy until warmed up..not great for cold wetther! Only got 10,000kms out of it, expected more given it was hardish rubber.

The Dunlop Arrowmax GT301 I have now feels great in all conditions, wear unknown as yet...

Comment

I had Battlax BT45 front and rear (GS1000G) and my mechanic reckoned they weren't really suitable for the weight of bike and rider - I weigh 75kgs. The front also feathered up the right side easily - I guess the left side in the US.

I now run, at his suggestion, Metz Laser33 front and Metronic rear. The bike handles better and he reckons they will last heaps more than I was getting from the BT45s.

Kim

Comment

I have Dunlop 591 Elite SP's front and back and I like them more than the Metzlers I had previously. I think I had the ME55 front, I forget the rear model. The last time I bought tires it seemed the selection was limited due to the tire size.
                        1982 GS1000S Katana
                        1982 GS1100E

Comment

I also was told the BT45 was not up to the heavier weight of the bike..while it gripped it was a bit vague, but it always looked as if you had just come off the racetrack it was so chopped up.

Comment

I just put Dunlop 491 Elite II on both front and back. They really grip great. I would recommend them highly

Comment

I mounted Dunlop GT501's last year.
                              I have about 6000 miles on them. I really like the feel and grip from them.
                              I rode about 125 miles in pouring rain last year on them, no problems at all
                              I'm getting really good wear out of them also. The rear is showing some, but the front still looks new.
                              Take a look at the tread pattern on these. Looks like a radial, deep grooves, lots of rubber on the road.
                              No problems, I'll get another set when the time comes.
                              Shop around

Keith
                              Keith
                              -------------------------------------------
                              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                              X