Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean up!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen.

What are some tips on getting my engine to shine? It's been mucked over and I want to give it some lovin.

I''ve never actually "cleaned" the bike, sure, I've wiped down the tank and bars and rims but I've never gotten into the nitty gritty.

I want it to SHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, you could go over it with 3M pads. let us know how it goes in 6 months or so when you finish... :twisted:

Really, though, I have had good success with engine degreaser and elbow grease. But I have also never tried to make 'em shine...

Comment

GS77,

Only advice I can give you is try #00 steel wool. First, I use a rag (or Q-tip for the small hard to reach areas) and carefully smear brake fluid on the aluminum parts where I wish to remove the damaged/oxidized clear coat. Let it sit a night or two...... then I use #00 steel wool to completely remove the clearcoat. The #00 leaves basically no scratches.

For the hard to reach areas, I use my Dremmel with a polishing wheel, sometimes with rubbing compound on it. When all clearcoat is off, I do a real quick once-over with the Dremmel & big polishing wheel with just the slightest amount of rubbing compound on it (enough to put color on the wheel) and give the entire surface a quick polish.

This engine side took me a total of about 3 hrs to do - as you can see the sprocket cover was not done.

Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Very nice work 8) 8)
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...