400/450 performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

400/450 performance

I know that most of you think that the word performance and 400/450 shouldnt be in the same sentance, but i cant afford the insurance on the bigger bikes, 400 will have to do. I havent seen any posts about these smaller bikes in the Mods area, are there any? I know that you can do anything if you have money, but what are some good upgrades that can be done(without breaking the bank)? thanks

K&N's and a 2 into 1 exhaust, with proper jetting..... Other than that you can get lighter by ditching everything nonessential......

Comment

I currently have a 79 425. I installed K&N pods, a MAC 2-1( with a slightly drilled baffle-still too quiet), dropped from a 16 to a 15 front gear, and went from a 45 to a 50 rear, but honestly that is a little too much...at 65 in 6th engine runs 6500...just a tad buzzy...not sure if I am going to reinstall stock gear or not, I will say that even though I am not done setting carbs, this thing is much more fun to ride...atleast it sounds fast...Chris.

Comment

Little twins like the 400-450 are not necesarily fast bikes, but they will out strip just about any big bike in the corners. you can carry a lot more speed through the twisties and have mucho fun at a relatively safe velocity. I will be looking for a 450 some day after my 1100 is fixed up. Mostly for commuting and lunchtime "sanity rides"......

Comment

The twins seem like fine bikes, and the intake/exhaust mods seem worthwhile to do on any bike, but if you really MUST have more performance can't you go up to 750cc before the insurance jump? That's the cutoff in NJ anyway, Oh and no one under 26 is allowed to ride my bike either.

Comment

Here in Wisconsin a 750 carries hefty rates for ins., I am planing a 750 or 850 as my next project, I built the 425 because the fact that its not overly powered, something fun to play on without fear of getting myself in trouble...Its much slower than my old CBR600 F3, but its more fun to ride...you really had to push the Honda to get the thrill you get on this thing at 1/4 the speed...I may be getting too old though...

Comment

I guess it's not universal then, bummer Good luck in your quest.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken I believe the 450 uses the same piston as the 750. You might run across some Wiseco pistons for it. A little clean up of any casting ridges in the intakes would help too. If you can't find pistons you could probably have the head milled a little to bump up compression. A good valve job wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

I had a 450 with Progressive shocks, pods,an old vance and hines megaphone exhaust, metzler lasers, telefix clip-ons and fork brace, raask rearsets, progressive fork springs, as well as a scott oiler and a custom saddle. All that and it was flat black for $400. I have spanked FZR600s in extremly tight corners. Although anything bigger than a moped had me in a straight line. It was an insanely fun bike. Also any engine parts for the 500E should fit.

Comment

I had a 450 with Progressive shocks, pods,an old vance and hines megaphone exhaust, metzler lasers, telefix clip-ons and fork brace, raask rearsets, progressive fork springs, as well as a scott oiler and a custom saddle. All that and it was flat black for $400. I have spanked FZR600s in extremly tight corners. Although anything bigger than a moped had me in a straight line. It was an insanely fun bike. Also any engine parts for the 500E should fit.
                    ....Good info here..... You could check Dragbike.com's photo classifieds for pistons. Sometimes people will hole a piston in a race and sell the other three good ones for real cheap....

Comment

Working...
                    X