Another Centerstand Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Centerstand Method

Here is another alternative to getting your GS up on the centerstand when the "conventional" method doesn't seem to work. I know that when I first got my 850 getting it on the centerstand wasn't a problem. But somewhere along the way of modifications and high mileage it got next to impossible for one person. It was as though the angle of the stand striking the ground was too shallow to let it rock up.

Take about a 1 ft length of 2x6 and place it a few inches behind the rear tire. Place a 6 inch length of 1x on the left side of the bike a few inches behind the spot at which your side stand is touching the ground. Now roll the bike backward briskly to put the rear tire up on the board. (I think it works best to to sit on the bike to do this). Put the sidestand down on the 1x and dismount the bike. Now you can put your foot on the centerstand tab and rock the bike up and back "conventionally" with very little effort.

You can actually do this with 2x4 but you have to be more precise in the placement of the board. It has to be centered on your rear tire when the bike is up off the sidestand and vertical. A little trial and error may be necessary. You need to have block or board on which to put your sidestand to keep the lean angle of the bike from being too great.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

THIS IS A GREAT TIP!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say that this little trick works GREAT!!!!
    I am a six foot, 175 pound weakling and could not get my GS850L on the center stand....... very frustrating. I actually tried this last night and it works great. I would highly recommend this to anyone having problems getting there bike on the center stand...... don't be shy..... we know you are out there. It is really nothing to be ashamed of.

Curt

Comment

works great

i just wanted to say thanks for this tip. It works great. I couldn't even budge the bike without the extra lift of the 2x.

Comment

That's a good tip! A lot of us would much rather use the centerstand ALL the time, if it was just easier.
        Putting your bike on the centerstand may give you another benefit. It seems that older/worn float needle valves, seal better when the bike is level. It seems to be more common to have fuel leaks/overflows on the side stand.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Center stands are just something you either have a feel for or don't. I've never had a problem putting any bike up on a stand, even when I was a teenager, no matter the weight (I'm 5'11" at 185 lbs., average physical shape).

I like seeing all the tips, it just shows that different things work for different people. My number one tip about lifting a bike on the center stand is to make sure you lift it off of the side stand, placing the bike firmly on both legs of the center stand before lifting. It may feel a little akward, almost like you're going to knock it over - but it must be centered for the mechanical advantage to work.

While the bike's on its side stand, stand on the left side of the bike with both hands under the rear section of the seat (on the grab rails, frame bars, or whatever's at hand). Place your foot on the center stand peg, putting a little bit of weight on it, and slowly lean the bike to the right (off of the side stand, standing it up straight) until you feel both of the center stand feet resting on the ground. At this point, place all of your body weight on the center stand peg and rock the bike backwards while lifting the bike up. It shouldn't take a superhuman amount of strength, even on an 1100 shaftie. The thing to overcome is the feeling that you're going to tip the bike while you're standing it up off of the side stand.

Again, different things work for different people, but it's a matter of leverage and not sheer strength that will get the bike up. If you find that you're lifting with all your might and nothing's happening, then you're doing something wrong. You're trying to lift the back of the bike, which equates to 1/3 of its overall weight at best. Anyone large enough to ride their bike should be able to put it on the center stand, once you figure out how to make the stand do all of the work (with very few exceptions for diminuitive size and physiological limitations).

-Q!

Comment

I couldn't get my bike onto the centerstand when I first got it. The bushings in the stand mounts were worn out of round. After replacing them it became very easy...and they were not outrageously worn.
            S.

Comment

Update. My original post was too involved. Easier way.

Put the 6-12" piece of 2x under the bike a foot or so in front of the rear tire. Standing on the kickstand side of the bike roll it forward until the rear tire goes up on the board and squeeze the front brake to stop it there. Now stand down on the centerstand and lift from the side as normal.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Another massive benefit to using the centerstand is conserving your springs. I've disassembled front ends on bikes that were stored on the sidestand, to find the left spring 2-3" shorter than the right, can't be good for handling.

Comment

Ok Found the post I was looking for, yes it's an old one.. but wanted to ask this question in regards to centerstand!! Due to the fact of not having one what do you guys out there do when you need to work on your bike WITHOUT a center stand?? I was working on my exhaust and wish I could keep the bike straight up... :?

Comment

I also found that taking the centerstand off and greasing the bushings with wheel bearing grease makes the soooo much easer to use than a rusty dried up centerstand that many people have after the bike gets to be plus years old !!!

Comment

GS700Jim....something like this.

Or I just use jacks.

Comment

Where do you find one of those!! I like it!!

Comment

Ted in NJ

I use a tie-down or a come-along tied to a big tree branch or to a rafter in the barn to lift the front or rear end off the ground. Sure makes it easy to remove a wheel and change fork seals.

BTW, my GS700E came without a centerstand. The previous owner recommended that I change the oil first thing, because he had never changed it in several years of ownership. I asked him why, and he said it was because there was no centerstand. This went right over my head until I read the oil change procedure in the manual:

Step 1 - Put the bike on the centerstand. :?

I should have believed him when he said he wasn't mechanically inclined!

Ted

Comment

I roll mine up on a 2x4 or a brick, then I can get it up on the stand pretty easily.

Comment

I can't keep my center stand on becasue of my exhaust, but whenever I need it, I just install it. Takes all of 60 seconds, you don't even need to torque the bolts, finger tight is fine.
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                              X