Braking my heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braking my heart

I got a great deal on my '79 850, it strated right up, though ran a quite rough, rolled and shifted and had 34000 miles on it and I got it for $300, just the bike I was looking for, for my first one. The only part missing were the front calipers, so off to Ebay right, wrong. I got dupped by 2 different deadbeat auctioners. Well how about my suzuki dealer surely they could help right....Wrong, calipers are discontinued, when I asked the knowledgable courteous Suzuki dealer if he had any suggestions a prompt Nope rolled from his unsympathetic mouth. But GS resources to the rescue. Thanks to guys like Earl, Frosty, Choc, and others they have given me leads on parts other possible work arounds and given me hope. But being without brakes has given me time for things like complete carb rebuilding, unfortunately I don't know how well it went since I am very apprehensive about doing riding of any speed above 30 or so without front brakes, lucky for me I live in the country, miles and miles of empty backroads. But those are the brakes. By next week I should have the brake problem dealt with and fishing off the back of my GS in a few weeks. And living in Florida there is no rush to get things ready for riding season, as long as I get my riding in by 3 pm (daily rainy season downpour schedule) riding is year round.

Re: Braking my heart

Originally posted by "walkergs850 And living in Florida there is no rush to get things ready for riding season, as long as I get my riding in by 3 pm ([b
    daily rainy season downpour schedule) [/b]riding is year round.
    Oh the good old days of living in Fla.
    Nice weather riding to work 8)
    Torrential downpour on the way home :x
    It looks like yall are really getting wet this year.
    How's the humidity?
    Waiting for you when you walk out the door? 8O :x
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

im surprisd that Nick doesn't have parts for you.

Comment

Re: Braking my heart

Yeah Doug, I just laugh when manufacturers tout their tires as handling water well. I'm tempted to write and ask them how their tires handle in two feet of water. :-) :-) :-) Hmmm, whats the maximum lean angle I can achieve while traversing a swimming gator? :-)

Rain every day now.

Earl

Originally posted by crag antler

Oh the good old days of living in Fla.
        Nice weather riding to work 8)
        Torrential downpour on the way home :x
        It looks like yall are really getting wet this year.
        How's the humidity?
        Waiting for you when you walk out the door? 8O :x
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I was checking into some new rotors for my 1000. Gulp! $189 bucks each and there are 3 of them. Ouch!! Guess I will be using those grooved rotors for a while! :roll:

Comment

Scotty, I don't have any calipers for sale. Haven't for quite a while. They're obviously in great demand.

As far as rotors are concerned, though, Michael Falke, eBay always lists rotors for auction, and many are in pretty good shape, and cheap! GS rotors are so interchangeable. The front rotors, for example, of a 1980 GS850G are being used on my Hybrid GK right now. They also fit the 1000's, the 750's, the 1100's, even the 550's.

Even the solid rotors of the very early GS bikes, such as a 79 GS850G, interchange nicely with the newer slotted rotors. I still use my 79 solid rotors.

Nick

Comment

Good to know but so far the ones I've come across on Ebay don't look much better than the ones I got. These aren't terrible but I'd be nice to have them up to spec if I wanted to take it and ride Arkansas again. It may not stop like the Rex does but I could definitely improve what I have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Falke
                Good to know but so far the ones I've come across on Ebay don't look much better than the ones I got. These aren't terrible but I'd be nice to have them up to spec if I wanted to take it and ride Arkansas again. It may not stop like the Rex does but I could definitely improve what I have now.
                Michael, I may be able to get you rotors up here, I know a motorcycle retirement home (wrecking yard) that has some nice ones, they also have some very nice original GS rims on hand, including a set of the gold wheels for a 450S.
                send me a PM if you are interested.

Comment

I got lucky and bought 1150 wheels for almost nothing...gave 5 dollars for a complete front with rotors.....20 for a rear complete. the shipping was more than the wheels. Just take your time...they will come floating by sooner or later.

Comment

Micheal go to a Castrol distributer and ask for castrol SRF brake fluid, flush your brake system fillit up and bleed it and prepare to be amazed, the use of this fluid as a replacement in my bikes (1150 & 1100sz) was similar to replacing the hoses with braided. Castrol SRF is the fluid used in formula1 cars, which may go someway to explaining why it is so good, be warned it is not cheap but is well worth IMNSHO.
                    Dink

Comment

I'll do that Dink, Thanks!!

Comment

another volunteer for scrapyard diving, we've got a pretty good selection of GS's, as well as many kawas, hondas, etc. biggest bike selection in colorado I heard Ken say the other day. I'd be happy to run by and look for you some calipers as well as rotors... but I don't know if I can be trusted to test them!! just let me know if you want me to try, but be warned, these guys aren't exactly the cheapest...

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
                          another volunteer for scrapyard diving, we've got a pretty good selection of GS's, as well as many kawas, hondas, etc. biggest bike selection in colorado I heard Ken say the other day. I'd be happy to run by and look for you some calipers as well as rotors... but I don't know if I can be trusted to test them!! just let me know if you want me to try, but be warned, these guys aren't exactly the cheapest...
                          What places are you talking about so I dont goto the same ones. I usually hit Steeles and the D.U.M.P.

Comment

Working...
                          X