Dyna 'S' ignition and coils.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna 'S' ignition and coils.

For any bike with a points ignition, this is a great mod'. You get improved spark and don't need to adjust the timing as often, if at all. It's very easy to install and to set the timing. I've had this on my bike for several years now and I'm completely happy with it. KK.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

I replaced my electronic ignition with a Dyna S - allowed me to lose the CDI box!! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
      I replaced my electronic ignition with a Dyna S - allowed me to lose the CDI box!! 8)
      That's another good reason to change on some models that I did'nt think about. Those CDI boxes are expensive to replace. Thanks for the input.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

would that fit an 83 gs750es?

Comment

Originally posted by 83gs750es
          would that fit an 83 gs750es?
          I believe Dyna makes an ignition and coils for any Japanese bike. My main reason was to get rid of the points and to have the 35,000 volt hotter spark from the Dyna coils. Some bikes already have electronic ignitions (no points) but can get rid of the ''black box'' when installing the Dyna ignition and I believe they will get the increased voltage/spark also from the better coils.
          Of course, a lot of people just wait and if their black box ever fails then they make the switch.

Comment

i'm not going to make a new post on this, but i have to give some praise to Dyna.

i recently switched my 79 GS550 to Dyna S and Dyna Green Coils with Dyna radio-suppression wires. wasn't a cheap investment for a $300 bike, but wow...what a difference. the bike starts up in less then one crank, it idles better, and starts up great after running hot. the new spark from the coils allows you to open the plug gap up a bit, resulting in more spark and better combustion.

this mod is probably the best thing you could ever do to an old bike. my experiences with old coils has never been good. even changing just the coils out to Dyna would be a great investment if you already have electronic ignition.

if you do have the stock CDI, and you want Dyna, you need to find a mechanical advancer from 77-79 bikes. just FYI.

cheers and thank you Dyna,

~Adam

Comment

AOD,
              What do you mean by the mechanical advancer (77- 79) for the dyna ignition?[/list]

Comment

the CDI bikes did not have a mechanical advancer piece located under the CDI box. it would advance the timing in the actual CDI box itself. bikes made in 77-79 had mechanical points originally, which needed a mechanical advancer to advance the timing above a certain RPM.

this is needed to use the Dyna S on a 80+ bike.

i dont think you need it for Dyna III or DYna 2000.

~Adam

Comment

just got into this thread, what would you use to replace the points and condensers on a '79 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by StrwbrryAnngel
                    just got into this thread, what would you use to replace the points and condensers on a '79 GS550E
                    Hi. I have a Dyna 'S' ignition. It says it's for the 550/750/850/1000. It's several years old. As stated above, there are other pointless ignitions that Dyna makes now. They may be on the web, I have'nt tried to look them up. If this phone # is still good, try it.
                    Dynatek, in California: 626-963-1669

Comment

Thanks for the info you guys, when everything else is squared away with my ride, the dyna is definitely gonna happen. Here's a place (fla) with good dyna pricing. I have not ordered from them but found them when looking on google for dyna stuff. move your mouce to "online catalogue" on the left and just follow the drill downs unitl you find what you want.

Comment

wow cozine...their prices are really cheap. cyclerecycle had dyna for $184...i bought mine directly from Dyna a few months ago...i think i paid $200.

make sure you get new coils and the dyna suppression wires. the whole kit definitly is worth it!

~Adam

Comment

What's the difference between a Dyna S, and a Dyna III ignition system? I know the 'S' is self contained and requires the mechanical advance, but is it any better then the 'III' Do they require different types of coils?

Comment

you'll have to ask Dyna about the coils...i believe it doesn't matter what you use.

Dyna S is stand alone, mechanical advance. Dyna III has a box that goes with it...not sure if it has mechanical advance, and the Dyna 2000 is the best i believe, with electronic advance.

~Adam

Comment

I have the Dyna III and yes it has a mechanical advancer on it. I don't think they make the Dyna III for my bike anymore. I love it though. Also have the green coils.

Comment

Working...
                              X