gs750/gixer cam swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750/gixer cam swap

I was looking at a 1989 oil cooled gsxr 750 motor, and wondering if the cams from these motors will drop into a 16 valve GS750 motor? :twisted: They look close, but I haven't measured them. Anybody know? Could be interesting with some bigger carbs, eh....
    Mark Harrop

I've heards of guys using the '86 and '87 model cams and V&H list the same cams for '86-'90.

Comment

the late model gixxers have the cam chain in the middle or off to the side?

Comment

GS750/gixxer cam swap

It's in the middle. I also recently disassembled a 89 Katana 750 motor with a blown tranny, and its amazing how similar the motors are internally. I'm going to look around at some drag racer sites and see if anyone has experience with this swap. I know the 16v GS750 is not used as a drag motor much, so data might be hard to find.
        Mark Harrop

Comment

A friend of mine used to have a 83 GS750 and he used the 1100 80-87 std cams with good results, and another friend of mine has a 83 GS1100 with Cammotion G21 cams intended for the GSXR1100, so it seems the range is, to say the least, wide.

Comment

So does that mean that any of the cams out there for the ever popular GS1150 dragbikes will fit in my 700? That would certainly open up the choices.

Comment

Luke,
              All the 700/750/1100/1150 16 valve motors use the same aftermarket cams. Just do a little research before getting them though because some require rocker arm and/or valve guide mods. Anything other than a drop-in usually needs to have the rockers welded and reground for a harder surface. Really high lift cams require the valve guides be shortened. You don't want any wild cam profiles anyway.

Comment

.330 lift @ 246 duration is about the limit for drop-ins. Any more aggressive will require mods such as valve to piston clearance and hardened rockers. For a daily driver stick with drop-ins, if you want a weekend hot rod you can go more radical. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

cam swap

Thanks for the info guys...
                  Soooo...Here I am looking at my 82 GS750E, with an air cooled, 16v TSCC motor that runs pretty good with an open 4 into 1, pods, Dynojet stage3, Accel coils and a Dyna S ignition.
                  I also have an 89 Katana 750 motor w/carbs and a blown tranny, and a '90 Gixxer 750 motor (no carbs) with a tooth busted off second gear thats in pretty good shape otherwise (both freebies).

Would the cams from either motor be advantageous in the GS?

How about a street port on the GS head with the Gixxer cams and re-jetted Kat carbs? 8O

Am I just fantasizing about things that can never be? a GS pipe dream?
                  A super-screamer 14,000 rpm GS that can run with the big-dogs.... :twisted:
                  I lay in bed sometimes and dream of a hybrid motor built from junk I have laying on my garage floor, a giant killer, capable of transporting me reliably to and from work, and being able to dust off any squid plastic-mo-bile pilot that dares blip his throttle.
                  ...I think I need help

Comment

I'd check the specs on the cams, but if they are stock they should be alright. You won't get anywhere near 14k without connecting rods coming apart and valves floating. You can get it a little over redline and still have it be reliable. The trick is to make enough power to be able to change gearing for more speed.

Comment

swaps

What about the con rods from the gixxer motor? The cranks have to be similar also, plain shell main bearings...I gotta find some specs...

Comment

I doubt the rods will swap.

Comment

Mark, we are starting a fund to get you some help. Seriously, if you want to make big power stick with what you already have. The air-oil cooled '85-'92 GSXR motors (incl. Katana) were built with weight reduction in mind and in my opinion are not as reliable when hot rodded. This is why Suzuki went to water cooling- the bikes could not make the big power needed without blowing up to be competive on the World Superbike curcuit.I remember reading in '86 that the GSXR1100 con rods were the same size as the GS750. This is why the GS1150 still rules as drag racing, it is built like a brick s@%t house. With a pocket full of cash you can pump up your 750 to run with the squids in a straight line. Check out the 750 of Dr. Dre, he has one of the baddest rides I have seen. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

===Check out the 750 of Dr. Dre, he has one of the baddest rides I have seen. Ride On, Ed.===

Ed,
                            Do you have a link to the above mentioned bike?
                            Thanks.

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip....php?RegID=170 I think this is it.

Comment

Working...
                              X