Newtronics electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newtronics electronic ignition

Two years ago I purchesed a Newtronics electronic ignition for my 78 GS1000. Newtronics used to be the Piranna ignitions, for those old enough to remember! It is made in the UK.

The reasons why? Cost for one A$215, around US$100, which was far cheaper than any Dyna ignition I could get. Also, they have a good reputation for reliability, as it seems many 20 year old units are still going strong.

The unit is a LED light triggered unit, with the sensors replacing the points plate, the mechanical advance is maintained, the trigger unit that switches the coils is separately located either under a sidecover, or in my case under the seat (as I don't have an airbox, and there is more cooling air).

As an aside, I used to (early 80s) have a martek 440 ignition. I used to run a full sports style fairing and a smaller oil cooler (actually that cooler is now back on since my big cooler split, but I will be getting another larger one before summer). The martek melted itself on a hot summer day (1983), taking one coil with it (my nice high capacity one!). When I say melted, wires protruded from the plastic housing, there was a crack in the coil and goo was oozing out of the coil. This happened 1,000km from home (Adelaide hills) on the way the Perth (3500km from home!) I was not impressed, as I had to buy some coils (Kawa 9 coils, which I am still running today!) and a points plate (anyone want a spare one? I also have the original coils) The moral of this is that the Newtronics ignition has the switching unit away from engine heat, and so should be far more reliable.

The verdict? It is great! Compared to points, the spark is far more stable (no points bounce, smooth advance), and there seems to be more grunt down low, but this is only a cooment rather than a major feature. The engine runs smoother overall as the timing balance between the points does not change, the dwell and timing remain constant over time.

I did have to play around a little bit shimming the trigger units to get them at the right height. No mention of this is in the instructions. Otherwise an easy unit to fit

I think the ignition makes more difference than the high capacity coils.

Newtronics is a recommended unit, by me at least. I have only done 10,000kms over the last 2 years, but it has performed flawlessly in all sorts of weather - did I mention that reliability is a big thing with me!!!!

I used to have the Martek ignition also, with the controller mounted behind the side cover. It quit working after about 5 years. I bought the Dyna ignition (US$125) which does'nt use a remote mounted controller. Everything is inside the 2 modules that replace the points. I think the hotter coils are worth the money but I can see waiting for the stock ones to fail before a swap. With either ignition you get rid of those worthless points.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I still have the stock coils to put in after the Kawa ones fail, then I may try better coils!!! Will have to keep the GS a while I think, but will keep yall posted

Comment

Working...
      X