Koni Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni Shocks

First, let me intruduce myself. Klaus Messerer, Santa Fe NM area, 1981 GS850, 1980 TT500, 1986 TT350, 1974 DT250.
    I have 20 year old Koni's on my GS850, which are in need of rebuilding. They don't seem to dampen anymore and they have an oil leak. I called Koni, but they won't service m/c shocks anymore. I searched the net and found out about Ikon shocks. Proven Suspension in Australia bought the rights and design from Koni to reproduce their shocks. www.proven.com.au
    I talked with Proven and it turns out that all parts of Ikon shocks are interchangeable with post 1990 Koni shocks, and seals/orings are interchangeable with all Koni's. They have an Importer in California who has parts, shocks and the ability to rebuild the shocks. www.eurotech.com
    I will take my shocks apart this weekend, replace the oil and the seals.

However, if any internal parts are broken in my shocks it wont be feasable to fix them as Koni changed the design in 1990 to make them more reliable. If that is the case, I will order a new pair of Ikon shocks. I would highly recommend Proven to everyone as their customer service is second to none.
    I will keep you all informed as to the progress of my findings.

Klaus

Nice to know. I have a set of Konis that I purchased around 1990 for the 1100. Only used them about 1 year and 5k miles. They are in excellent shape except for the rubber bump stops. They are cracking a bit with age. I think I'll see if they can be ordered.

Comment

I just read an article on Ikon shocks in a local bike mag.

Koni was going to give up make motorcycle shocks, so Proven (as distributor here in Australia) decided to take up production of Koni shocks. They could not use the Koni name, but the shocks are as good (better I think since they are made here!) as any Koni.

Comment

I had better add I run Fournales, have done since 1983 (same shocks, same bike). They are just now due for servicing, new oil, one seal slightly leaking). This will be the first service. I could keep riding as they are safely, but damping for high speed riding is degraded.

Comment

I received my new oilseals from Eurotech yesterday and put the shocks back together. Everything went great and didn't take very long. I put the shocks back on the bike tonight, but haven't ridden the bike yet. I will go out on a test run tomorrow, I'm expecting a huge improvement in handling.

Klaus

Comment

huge improvement indeed

The bike handles much better now. Time to put on some miles.

Klaus

Comment

Working...
            X