Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

float level mikuni flatslides? Nneed help today !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float level mikuni flatslides? Nneed help today !

help read entire post it has been updated and editedThe floats on my carbs are still sticking and now I'm wondering if my float level is set wrong. They seem to over flow when the gas is left on and the bike is on the side stand (and somtimes on the center stand). they just started doing this recently and I have a pingle petcok. I have cleaned the float needles and seats now I am wondering what the correct height should be and how to check it. Do you let the floats hang and check the level or do you turn the carbs upside down and then check the level. What should the level be and were do you measure from? If I use the stock settings for the 36mm cv carb will I be close enough? are those float needles and seats interchangable with the flat slides? Lots of questions I know but this leak is driving me nuts. thanks
    NEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. 6/27/03 Had this one carb on my flatslides that would leak out the overflow tube if i left the gas on and the bike sat. Too k it apart and installed the float needle ,float, and needle seat from my cv 36 mm carbs . Started it it ran on all four. went 500 ft and its running on three. ok that combo of parts wont work so I go back re install the old seat ,needle and float,started it and it only fires on three cyl. changed plugs they all have good spark . I did re adjust the float level in that carb ould that be the trouble ? I set it at 17mm converted to 680 ths. Is this the right conversion from metric to inches? hellpppp I only have 6 hrs after work today to fix this or no New england gs ride for me

17mm + or - 1mm. Measure from the base of the carb where the bowl fits. Upside down with the floats just resting on the needles, not pressed down. I think the CV parts are the same, but not positive. Sudco can supply them if you need new ones and they have fast service with good prices.

Comment

I've got a Mikuni 'manual' on my site.
      The link on my site is broken but this direct link will work.
      !!! 7,4Mb !!!

Hope it helps

Comment

thanks guys I really appreciate the help

Comment

There are four O-rings on the float needle bodies that hold the little filters. Flatslide carbs are notorious for *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ing fuel past the O-ring and running out of the overflow.....gives the impression of improper float level height. One season of not draining the carbs will wreck these O-rings. I change mine every couple of years.

Hope this helps.

8) Dr. Dre 8)

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemodeller
            There are four O-rings on the float needle bodies that hold the little filters. Flatslide carbs are notorious for ####ing fuel past the O-ring and running out of the overflow.....gives the impression of improper float level height. One season of not draining the carbs will wreck these O-rings. I change mine every couple of years.

Hope this helps.

8) Dr. Dre 8)
            i swapped the needle and seats from the stock 3
            6 cv's while i wait for the new ones to come in. the running on three cyl was from the mid range needle coming out of the clip when i had the carbs upside downn working on the float and needle assy. i put the needle back down and slid over the clip and everthing is better for now. I will change all the o- rings when i do the seat assy...........skip

Comment

leaking Orings around brass float valve seat

This problem is not restricted to the flatslides. I had this problem with stock 82 Kat carbs and now check them whenever I have the carbs apart. Its a standard O ring so they should be available at a good hardware or auto store.
              Suzookeeper ger

Comment

Working...
              X