Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this bike size primarily used for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this bike size primarily used for?

Hello all,
    I am a newbie to the bike world, I have a question about performance. and comfort. I hope this is the right forum for this.
    I recently was GIVEN an 82 GS650G. My question is, what is this bike size good for? can I comfortably cruise on long trips? is it good for shooting around town? I have heard that this is a good starter bike, but Im wondering why and what I can expect after I get it running.. (Performance wise)
    Any info will be greatly appreciated
    Tom

What you have, my friend, is a gen-u-wine early-80's Universal Japanese Motorcycle, or UJM. What this means is that they'd start with a basic standard design. Put on some wild graphics, superbike bars, maybe a little fairing, and it's a sport bike. Add a big fairing and hard bags, and it's a tourer. Put on a teardrop tank and a stepped seat, decorate with some extra chrome, and it's a cruiser.

I started on a GS650GL, very similar to your bike, though the L models have the smaller teardrop-shaped gas tank. I used it as an all-around city bike, for highway driving, everything. I forget the rear-wheel horsepower/torque numbers, but it's got enough to accelerate from 0 to stupid in only a few seconds.

Since this is your first bike, I'd suggest using it to develop your skills, just getting around or making short trips, and then build up to longer ones. Work on your bike when it needs it, to learn bike fixing. You won't out-accelerate the sports bike crowd, but that should be okay; with huge acceleration also comes greater risk. You'll still be able to beat almost any car taking off from a stoplight.

Comment

When I statrted riding I could only dream of a bike as big as a 650!! (late 70s). If you read modern bike testers anything less than a thousand is only for short trips and quick fangs.....

The GS650 is great, it will do whatever you want it to.....its limitations on trips may be two up or with a lot of gear on...but it will do it!!

Comment

Get that sucker running and join us at the fall TX hill country ride. There's a bunch of NTX guys that come down in a group, you could ride with them. The pace is relaxed but spirited (not too slow, not too fast). Don't worry about your "little" 650 It'll do just fine. We had a GS450 last time and he kept pace real easy 8) ........

Keep an eye on the GS Meetingplace forum for a thread to pop up sometime at the end of summer, 'K

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
          When I statrted riding I could only dream of a bike as big as a 650!! (late 70s). If you read modern bike testers anything less than a thousand is only for short trips and quick fangs.....

The GS650 is great, it will do whatever you want it to.....its limitations on trips may be two up or with a lot of gear on...but it will do it!!
          Boy you got that right! I remember when a CB350 Honda was a huge bike! Any machine that can cruise the legal speed limit will take you about anywhere. The bigger the bike the more comfortable it tends to be on long hauls but that 650 will do it all.

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
            Get that sucker running and join us at the fall TX hill country ride. There's a bunch of NTX guys that come down in a group, you could ride with them. The pace is relaxed but spirited (not too slow, not too fast). Don't worry about your "little" 650 It'll do just fine. We had a GS450 last time and he kept pace real easy 8) ........

Keep an eye on the GS Meetingplace forum for a thread to pop up sometime at the end of summer, 'K
            Spirited?? Is that what you call the pace you and Billy ran at!! Tom - don't let'm fool ya - there really a bunch of ruthless biker trash who'd just as soon leave you in the dust as say howdy :twisted:

Just pullin your leg. Get that 650 running and come with us this fall - we have a great time, see some great country and we ooh and aah over each other's bikes - If you need help gettin her back on the road, just say so - there are 5 or 6 of us that live in and around the DFW area 8)

Comment

according to my knowledge gs650gt is a) a bike for many long trips with a passenger and heavy camping gear on b) a bike for driving 185 km/h on a german highway c) a bike for excessive driving (right now 221 000 kms behind)

Comment

bike clubs

Are there any of those thar bike clubs in the northern california area?

Comment

Spirited?? Is that what you call the pace you and Billy ran at!! Tom - don't let'm fool ya - there really a bunch of ruthless biker trash who'd just as soon leave you in the dust as say howdy :twisted:
                  HEheheee :twisted: ......Okay, okay. Maybe its better to say that you can ride YOUR own pace and still be part of the group..... :twisted:

Comment

Where abouts in NorCal, Thr3shold? I'm in Modesto, myself....

Comment

I just got a 81 GS650G. I have riden it on a 275 mile ride, as well as around town. No problems with either.

Comment

Originally posted by joelll
                        I forget the rear-wheel horsepower/torque numbers, but it's got enough to accelerate from 0 to stupid in only a few seconds.
                        Since I have the same bike, I just went and found the numbers. From: http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS650.shtml , it says the 8-valve 650's developed 73 hp (54 kW) at 9.400 rpm and 57,2 Nm (5,88 kg-m) at 8.000 rpm (42 lb-ft if I did the math right).
                        Wow, I didn't think it was that high. For comparison, a 2003 GSX600F produces 78HP and 39.6 lb-ft. The GSX-R model is significantly higher (115hp and 49.6 lb-ft.).

FWIW.....

Comment

I've had mine for about a year. My first bike, right out of the Illinois MRC class. I didn't know a damn thing about it. I'm thankful that I was blessed with finding this bike first. It's been dependable (and I don't know what the hell I'm doing with it) and very forgiving (did I mention I don't know what the hell I'm doing with it?).

I thought it was as huge as a living room sofa when I got it (we ran 150s in class), but now I realize that for a man of my considerable stone, I'll probably feel more comfortable on a larger bike. I never want to give her up, though. I'll just have to wait until I can afford two bike or lose the weight.

I take her to work on the highway occasionally, but mostly just pleasure cruise around the city or on some county two-lane. I do get a bit saddle sore after a couple of hours of riding.

Drew

Comment

I have resisted as long as I possibly could
                            the correct answer is!!!!
                            (drumroll please)
                            RIDING
                            This is in fact what all bikes(including bicycles)are for!
                            Try it, if you find it is lacking sell it and buy something else!!!!
                            Try an 1150 or a Katana I have both and they are extremely addictive
                            Dink

Comment

Working...
                            X