New bars...ahhhhh, that's better...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bars...ahhhhh, that's better...

Finally found a set of flat bars to replace the standard GS850GZ bars. I was looking for a straight set, which in hindsight would have been a mistake. The set I found are 80cm (32") wide with no rise and about 80mm pullback. Trick is to get something that clears the tank.

A dead straight set would have been hard on the wrists. You need the pullback for a bit of comfort. I did try these bars with the ends kicked down. Real cool riding position - kills the wrists though. It's amazing how much better the GS feels when you're a bit forward over the steering. Now I have the master cylinder clearance to fit the bikini fairing recently purchased.

Right lock is just OK. The bar end (control block actually) hits the tank on full lock and the steering lock still works. Will be OK unless Mr Tank Slapper comes calling.

On left lock the choke lever is a problem. I'm thinking of finding a way to mount the choke reversed so the lever faces forward. Otherwise remove the cable altogether and setup something down at the carbs - like the old GT750 triple did for you old folks who can remember. Any suggestions are most welcome.

cheers

I use a bar with a slight rise (superbike bar I think). Clearance with the tank is not an issue then. I have tried flat bars, drop bars etc, but they all had their problems.

I have a carb mounted choke, so no experince to offer there!!

Comment

Working...
    X