Bike rear end "Stepping Out"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike rear end "Stepping Out"

I posted elsewhere about the installation of a GS1100 aluminum swingarm on my GS750. All parts were replaced and everything was installed and torqued correctly. I did not notice a problem when I first rode the bike.

However, the other day I went for a ride over a road which I had ridden before. I entered a slow right hand corner, leaned over, and as I applied power, it felt like the rear end shuddered or stepped out ever so slightly. It did the same thing on the next left hand corner. I was going slow but it still got my attention 8O I tried to duplicate the sensation while riding in a straight line, but can't. It does not do it in every corner.

I put the bike on the center stand, but I can't feel any play in the swingarm, either side to side or front to back. I am stumped :? What should I look for?

Sounds like too much preload on the shocks.

Comment

I am praying you are right

Comment

Stepping out

Or maybe the rear wheel isn't tight in the swing arm, and is sliding fore and aft in the swing arm. Got distracted tightening my chian a couple of weeks ago and thats what one of my 1150's felt like.

Comment

Re: Stepping out

Originally posted by Robert Corrie
          Or maybe the rear wheel isn't tight in the swing arm, and is sliding fore and aft in the swing arm. Got distracted tightening my chian a couple of weeks ago and thats what one of my 1150's felt like.
          same thing happened to me last week, put on new tires and did not tighten the axel tight enough, the bike pulled or "stepped out on" acceleration and braking.

Comment

Can be all of the above. You may alos be getting differnt feelback from the conversion, and perhaps need to retune suspension setup.

I am keeping my "tuned flex" tube swingarm as it has again come back into fashion, along with the tune flex frame!!

78 GS1000

Comment

I went down one step on the pre-laod and one click on the damping. I went for a short ride and did not notice any problem. Hopefully, that cured the problem.

The first thing I did when I noticed the problem was to get out the torque wrench and do all the fasteners. Suprising how little time it takes. I had the forks too tight, the axels and pivot bolt too loose. However, the problem persisted.

Comment

I went down one step on the pre-laod and one click on the damping. I went for a short ride and did not notice any problem. Hopefully, that cured the problem.

The first thing I did when I noticed the problem was to get out the torque wrench and do all the fasteners. Suprising how little time it takes. I had the forks too tight, the axels and pivot bolt too loose. However, the problem persisted.

Comment

What did you do for the conversion, Drill the frame or sleeve down the swingarm pivot?

Comment

I had purchased new bearings and bushings and caps before I tried to fit the swingarm. Since they were new, I decided to retain the bearings and bushings. I had an insert pressed into the bushing and machined to the diameter of the 750 pivot bolt. I could have had completely new bushings made but it would have been more expensive. I only paid $30 for the machine work. The new parts had cost $110.

Comment

Working...
                    X