Centerstand technique explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centerstand technique explained

I've noticed a few people expressing difficulty with getting their bike on the centerstand. Many methods and tips have been discussed but the easiest and proper way to get the bike on the centerstand is simple. It has nothing to do with strength, rolling the bike or rocking it. It's simply the proper application of leverage. Let's assume the centerstand lever is on the left side of the bike. Do the following;

1. Standing on the left of the bike facing the seat, balance the bike with your left hand on the left handlebar grip and your right hand on the grip rail under the left rear of the seat (it's usually located just rear of the shock absorber top mount and its only purpose is a gripping spot to get the bike on the centerstand!)

2.Place your right foot on the centerstand lever and push it down. It'll contact the ground and stabilize the bike somewhat as it does. Your now ready leverage the bike onto the centerstand.

3.Push down firmly and smoothly with your right foot. Do not try to lift using your right arm. just keep your arm straight and hold onto the grip rail. Your leg does the magic! It'll begin to move and pop right onto the stand.

4.Stand back and admire how easy that was !

It helps if the bike is on level pavement. If you must park it on a slight hill make sure you park with the direction of the hill, front wheel higher than rear. That way gravity will work for you and it'll almost put itself on the centerstand.

Remember, it's all about leverage. I've seen 5 foot tall petite women get 850's on the centerstand with little effort. On the flip side, I've seen a Grizzley Adams type he-man drop a 550 trying to wrestle it onto the stand. It's all in the technique.

Happy riding!

It helps if the bike is on level pavement. If you must park it on a slight hill make sure you park with the direction of the hill, front wheel higher than rear. That way gravity will work for you and it'll almost put itself on the centerstand.

Remember, it's all about leverage. I've seen 5 foot tall petite women get 850's on the centerstand with little effort.
    end quote.

It certainly IS about leverage, but if you are a petite 5 footer, I would recommend you use the centrestand ONLY on a level surface. Facing uphill, and trying to get it back down on both wheels can be really frustrating....especially if you have to ask someone to help get your bike down. (If this happens, tell them to PUSH, not pull)

On the other hand, if you are a petite 5 footer looking for a way to meet a passing helpmate......
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Centerstand trick

Perfect instructions. If you want to get tricky at wheel removal time try placing the bike one the edge of a footpath or similar dropoff so the rear wheel has enough clearance to drop down out of the way. Just be carefull if you are new at this

Comment

Thats OK as long as centre stand is in good condition, but if it is a little & worn/bent, it can be a little harder than that.
        On my old GS1000 I could put it on stand by just standing on centre stand lever - virtually hands free! But on my current GS1000S it is a hard job!
        I suppose one day I will do something about it!
        I think it is the pivot that wears that causes the problem.

Comment

Trouble is if you are a petite 5 footer, and the bike does start to overbalance, you don't have the bodyweight to stop it toppling and over it goes taking you with it!

Comment

Paul has described what I call the "conventional" method of hoisting the GS's to the centerstand. It is the way all new GS's were designed to be lifted. But I also agree that over time some bikes for some reason no longer want to play that way. For one thing I think the placement of that handrail under the left rear of the seat is crucial. I had to remove the one on my 850 to mount a luggage rack several years ago, and I have not since been able to relocate exactly the right leverage point. I believe changes in suspension, addition of accessories such as bags and box, and possibly centerstand wear can all affect the success of the procedure.

I have found that it helps a great deal to roll the back wheel up onto a board (a 2x) and start the conventional method from that point. The centerstand is then striking the ground at a more vertical angle and the momentum of the bike just brings it the rest of the way to vertical. I describe this in another topic in this forum named Another Centerstand Method.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

The leverage you guys are talking about I call body weight. The 79 model I have will easily go onto the center stand if I simply grip the left handlebar grip, grab the grab rail behind the shock with my right hand and put my right foot on the center stand lever. Simply stand on the lever and the GS will roll right up on it. Course it helps if you weigh over 200 lbs too! I was teaching my wife to ride it and showed her how to do it and she had no trouble getting it up onto the stand the first time she tried.

Comment

I have been using this technique as Jeff so well described in the original posting, although with one somewhat slight difference. That difference is that in step 1, I stand facing Foward (not facing bike), all else the same. When facing foward, with right foot on center stand lever with foot pointed foward, knee bent, with right arm almost straight down reaching behind, then straighten leg to stand on lever. This way I am more likley to keep my back straight, and keeping my back straight is the major point I am concerned about. I weigh 200-205 lbs and do find that I do need to lift a little bit on the grab bar, in addition to standing on the lever (stop pulling when it starts to raise so it doesnt slam onto the center stand), and with back straight is less chance of back strain. If I stand facing the bike, I tend to lean over a bit and have my back bent-curved. But in gereral, yeah, standing on the lever does most of the work.

Is interestiong to watch some people trying to pull bike back onto the stand.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Is interestiong to watch some people trying to pull bike back onto the stand
                  Yes it is!! Should see me when I try it!! :roll:

Comment

NOOOOOO WAYYYYYY!

whenever i wanna work on my bike, i just turn the whole bike upside down, so the wheels are in the air and the bike is resting on the seat grab rail, and the handlebars...

just like the old days when i used to oil my chain on my banana seat bicycle....

Comment

Man, this just doesn't work!!!

Grrr...Look....I only weigh 145 pounds. I have stood on that bloody centerstand footrest and its done nothing but hold me up. The bike never flips onto the centerstand when I do it as you said.

I do not think I weigh enough to leverage 530 pounds.

Dm of mD

Comment

Detman,

The trick is to get the back wheel elevated when you start. Check out this thread. Go down to the post where I modify the the technique slightly.

Don't feel bad. I'm 6'5", 210 and I wasn't able to get my 850 up without risking back surgery. I am convinced that, though it doesn't make any sense, there is variation among different bikes. My GS1100GK which is much heavier than the 850 goes on the centerstand much easier. The method described in the thread makes it go smoother with any bike.
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Detman

Don't feel bad, sometimes it is the design of the stand. Have you ever tried to put a Gold Wing on the stand...actually, it is very easy. Some centerstands lift the bike quite high, some have too much weight towards the rear, Some take a long swing to overcenter, etc.

I can tell you this, my 85 GS550EF is much harder to get on the centerstand than my FJ1100, and the FJ weighs 150 more pounds! The FJ gets the rear tire about 1 inch off the ground, the GS sits about 3 inches. On the centerstand the GS looks bigger than the FJ!

I like the method described above, but it wouldn't work with my GS, I actually stand as desribed and hold as described, but I actually use the leverage of my bent leg/straigt rear arm to lift/pull the bike backward onto the stand. I was 130 lbs when I bought the GS (1985) and weigh around 170 now, so I am no giant, but there has never been a bike I couldn't get on the stand. You really need someone to show you a technique in person, perferably with your bike, then you will understand.

Kenny

Comment

Yeah, having a person show me would help a lot. All my (weekend) biker friends have put their bikes up for the year already and with the impending holiday every will be busy.

For now I will have to go the route of using the wooden block to get the bike up on the centerstand. Well, for the vulcan since the Gs isn't running till I get the jets set to the right settings.

Thanks,
                            Dm of mD

Comment

Where are you in MD, Detman, and what's your real name? I'm in Middletown, Frederick County, and the Bunnies (Attila and her husband Energizer, aka Janet and Jeff Joseph) live in Leesburg. Dan Bard, one of the editors of this website, lives near Charles Town, WV. We have a very nice group of riders of all kinds of bikes (one token Harley to boot), including a couple of us GS'ers.

What do you mean by most of your friends having put their bikes away. That's a sinful thing to do in the midAtlantic States, when we can get perfect (well, near perfect) riding days like yesterday and Monday.

If you live anywhere close, I'll be glad to show you how to put the bike on the centerstand. As Don Pepe (dpep) said, the GK is heavier than the 850, yet it's easier to put on the centerstand than an older GS850. Having owned 850's, I can tell you he's absolutely correct.

Nick
                              marinick@erols.com

Comment

Working...
                              X