fitting larger pistons to gs thou 2v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fitting larger pistons to gs thou 2v

hi,am looking to big bore gs 1000 2v,with gpz pistons either 1260 or bigger,is fitting procedure reasonably straight forward,is there any additional machineing required,any info would be appreciated from someone who fitted and or is running said machine.thanks tony.

You will need liners. Bore out crankcase mouth. I would fit a seal ring in the top of the barrel liners (I forget what its called), it digs n to the head gasket to form a good seal & prevent gasket from blowing.
    Are you the same guy that I bought braced swing-arm from?

Comment

guess you will also need to send the barrels out to have them over bored, then have
      the larger sleeves installed in the barrels
      before you have the cases bored to fit the larger sleeves. This necessitates splitting the cases. Its a big job if you go over the recommended service limit that is found in your service book. That is why i run 1168cc instead of a 1300cc machine. I didnt have the green to go over the service limit.

Comment

In addition to the above, particularly on the 2V, think wheter you really want the extra compression. The grade of pump gas you will have to run will be high unless you lower the compression. A 1080 kit gives good usable street performance without all the addition costs.

I would think about putting in a 4V motor if you want to go to all that trouble..as I own a hotted GS1000 that is a hard thing for me to admit!!!

Comment

I would also weld the crank and under cut the tranny...put in a new timing chain while there and check the slides. Believe it or not I owned a 1055 turbo 1000 in 1979....dam thing was a killer...also ate pistons like a SOB if ya got the boost to high and didn`t run racing fuel. At that time I used MTC pistons and a ATP turbo...wish I had it back. Yeah almost forgot...would destroy a stock clutch hub...never got it really cured until I put in a modified 1100 hub after they came out.

Comment

I drag race a 79 gs1000-2v. See if anything on my website helps. This engine is capable of about 170 hp in its present form.

e-mail me if you like

Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
            X