Joe Rocket Ballistic Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Rocket Ballistic Gear

Recently purchased a Phoenix Joe Rocket mesh jacket with padding for hot summer riding. Been pleased with it and the protection it offers when riding above 85 degF. I was really impressed the other day when at the local cycle shop, some young bonehead came in with similar gear after a 50+mph get off while doing a wheelie down the freeway. As I said bonehead, but his gear, while thrashed, held together very well and prevented any road rash. Apparently this lightweight stuff is much tougher than it looks and worth the $. Ride On, Ed.

Thanks for info, I was just looking at them yesterday. Do you have the pants as well or just the jacket? I was also wandering what the long term impact might be, e.g. rheumatism, arthritis, or similar...

Comment

Very cool, I've been thinking of getting a Phoenix Jacket. It's too bad the pants are black only. It's amazing how many items for hot weather come only in heat absorbing black.

Comment

I just purchased the Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket. Used it in the spring on those 40 degree mornings and was very impressed. With the liner in and a pair of gloves with gauntlets you will not feel a draft. Pulled out the liner opened the air vents on the sleeves and back and it is very comfortable while riding. Take it off before you try to fill up or do anything else in the heat. The cut is great and very supportive. Only complaint is that the neck closure is snaps rather than velcro.

Comment

I used the Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket for the 6000 mile trip I just completed. It was a comfortable jacket. I found it warm with the liner in, and handled most of the warmer days of traveling with the liner out and vents open. The limit was probably on the over 100 degree days when I had to take it off. I drove thru 40 degree windy foggy rainy conditions along the Canadian side of Lake Superior and felt fine. At that point I also had on a balaclava and the rain suit over it. It would be difficult to make a jacket to cover the extremes, but I was pleased at the range this jacket covers. One problem: the tabs that fasten the liner sleeve to the inside cuff of the jacket ripped loose on both sides.

Mike

Comment

I have an Atomic and a Phoenix w/ Sahara evaporative cooling vest. I gotta say, the Phoenix/Sahara combo is unbeatable. Feels like a portable swamp cooler at speed.

Comment

Joe Rocket Santa Fe Jacket

My ride is a GS850GL so I went with the Santa Fe jacket. It has a look more suited to those of us on cruisers. Leather on the shoulders and upper arms, all the way down to the wrist. The leather is still perforated and allows plenty of air flow. I love it! It is a little more expensive than the Phoenix 2.0 but I didn't want to look like I ride a sport bike. www.Motoxoutlet.com. I didn't see the Santa Fe on their site but a quick call got it for me. About 50.00 less than retail.

Comment

Firstgear mesh

Guys, if you're looking for a mesh jacket, try the Firstgear. It has been highest rated in comparisons and seems to fit many riders better than the Joe Rocket. The body armor is held more in place and feels like it wouldn't move out of place in a fall............much more secure than the Joe Rocket. I got my Firtsgear at Downer's Grove Yamaha. They have a large selection of many brands, including Joe Rocket so you can compare. Their prices are pretty good (for a dealer) also.
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Joe, how much did you pay for that jacket?

i was looking online and Joe Rocket has the Phoenix 2.0 jacket out now, which runs $120-150. some places on ebay have the original Phoenix jacket for $69.

i have a Joe Rocket Atomic jacket already, which is a nice jacket, but too hot for 80+ weather. i often dont wear it just because it gets warm if you aren't moving. however, in cooler weather, the jacket is awesome. it has a removeable liner and removeable pads.

guess i'm going to buy a Phoenix jacket...i really should wear something.

~Adam

Comment

Adam,

I paid $139. It can be had for less online but not a whole lot less. I don't mind supporting a dealer if they aren't outrageous. DesPlaines Honda wanted $169 for the same jacket. The mesh jackets are awesome........like riding in a t-shirt. I have an HJC textile that is nice in cooler weather but is too much for the summer. I wore it on an AMA tour of Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California a few years back and I actually had sweat dripping out of the sleeves!

Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I bought the Phoenix recently and I love it. I find the armor to be pretty stable, though I could see problems with skinnier arms. The First Gear jacket looks quite good, as do a couple others. I bought the Rocket because I found one in my size and the color I wanted on the rack of a small local shop (this never happens to me!). and I wanted something quick to replace the denim shirt I broke out when it was sweltering. I went with gray as my one concession to fashion, isntead of brighter yellow or red. There's no way I would get black though, doesn't make sense for hot weather gear. The Gray doesn't seem to absorb much sun, and doesn't look too squid like. I also got a good deal on it, but the tag said $139, the same you'd pay at Dennis Kirk.

It's barely hotter with the jacket on than with it off, and that's just sitting still. When you're moving it's like instant air conditioning. I carry a sweatshirt along if I'll be out after dark to blunt the wind a little, it can get chilly in a hurry in that thing.

With the advent of these kinds of jackets you really need never choose between comfort and crash protection again, you can have both.

Comment

Mesh is the way to go, I have had the best riding season to date due to this jacket. And colour does not really matter, mine is black and it is like a portable air conditioner.

I decided on the Fieldsheer Titanium Air, best looking, best protection, no one else has one up here in Toronto..........got it from kneedraggers.com; $99 US.

Love this jacket.........great curb appeal!

8) Dr. Dre 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X