Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synching carbs: Morgan Carbtune II

I think this one deserves a review:

I always used to synch the carbs on "feeling", but didn't get the setup perfect (Earl is right! ).
    I borrowed some vacuum gauges from a friend, but they seemed to be too inaccurate. I had to adjust the dampening for each gauge, which influenced the readings.
    I was browsing the internet for some tips on carb synching, when I found a webstore in Belfast (UK), selling the "Morgan Carbtune II". It's a synching tool that uses stainless steel rods, instead of mercury. Looks perfect: easy to use and easy to store in the toolbox.
    I decided to order it; price (July 2003) 52 British Pound Sterling/87 US$/76 Euros.
    One British Pound for shipping within Europe, three British Pounds to the US.
    Promised delivery inside Europe: 3-5 days; 5-8 days to the US.
    Ordered it, and got a confirmation from John Morgan, asking me to let him know when the tool arrives, so he "could make accurate delivery predictions for future customers."

Well, it arrived within the promised five working days and came with a very detailed manual. The manual even had a special remark about the Suzuki GS CV carb settings! 8O
    The tool comes with 5 and 6 mm adapters and hoses.
    Synching the carbs is really a matter of minutes; as easy as they advertise.
    Both my GS's run like a dream now.

Good buy, I would say.

Here's the website: http://www.carbtune.com/

Nice JoJo. I might try one of those.

Comment

I've had a one for a couple of years, it's a Morgan carbtune, but the earlier model with the mercury. It comes with the same adaptors & detailed instruction manual.
      All I can say is that it is so easy & quick to use, that you tend to forget you've got it!

Comment

Can someone give step by step instructions gs specific for the morgan carbtune?

Comment

I bought one 4 years ago and have used it on all my gs bikes with both CV and slide carbs, my Honda CB750K2 and even my old BMW R100RS and I'm very happy with it.

Dead easy to use compared to my old vac guages that I've since given away, and I can get the carbs synched so quick, I don't usually have to run the garage fan on the engine to cool it while I do it.

Just make sure that the ignition timing and valve clearances are done first before you start, or you'll be wasting your time. If you're playing with a bike with a manual cam chain tensioner (like my old 750/4) make sure that you've adjusted it also before synching your carbs.

It's amazing how a lot of the rattles in these older bikes are caused by "out of synch" carbs! :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by donaldbc
            Can someone give step by step instructions gs specific for the morgan carbtune?
            Check your email!

Comment

Can I have a copy of the instructions as well. The website no longer exists.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                Can I have a copy of the instructions as well. The website no longer exists.

Dm of mD
                Hey Detman101 http://www.carbtune.com/inst.html you looking for this?

Comment

I just used my new Carbtune, and it is great! Accurate, easy to set up. I don't know why I put up with my old vacuum guage style tool for so long.

I was frustrated by a coil going on me during this....wondering why the readings were chnaging all the time.

Comment

Crrbtune II

I just got one, haven't had a chance to use it yet as I'm troubleshooting whatI believe are leaking carb boots or o-rings. It came from the UK in less than 5 days. I'll let you all know what I find. Thanks.
                    1979 GS 1000

Comment

I borrowed one of these from a co-worker.

Works GREAT.

Might I add that their advice about setting the outside cylinders 2.5cm/Hg higher is good advice when you have the stock airbox. Mine runs much better this way.

Comment

I am confused about how this colortune plug which the company also sells works as a partner to their carbtune product. Don't they both do the same thing?
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

dpep, the colortune is a sparkplug that allows you to see the color of your combustion, so that you can set your air fuel mixture screws if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Wow I need to get one of these, save up a bit of cash

Comment

Just recieved mine about a week ago. Synched the carbs on Saturday. Real easy to do. Great tool. I also got the pouch and carb tool with it as well. Recommend it. Bike runs fantastic now.

Comment

Working...
                              X